Elevator vs Comfort

Tempi

Visit site
I know this should be in SY, but il get more response in here (hopefully!!)

I was chatting to a woman whos just brought her advanced horse an elevator bridle and has said its really imporved his performance as hes much lighter and through from behind as hes more comfortable in his head - he has the same problem as bloss in that he hasnt massive paces and is slightly on the forehand.

Now ive done some research into them this morning and i cant seem to see what the difference is between them and a comfort bridle.

Bloss is already ridden in a sabre comfort, but as she needs to be lighter off the forehand i was thinking about asking for an elevator for xmas.

Just wondered if anyone has one, or knows of people with them and whether there is a difference between them and a comfort?

Halfstep

Visit site
There isn't much of a difference in the style or design of bridle - e.g. the padded headpiece and noseband slotted through to run above or attached to the padded headpiece by buckles on both sides - like the Barnsby comfort bridle. Some other styles are also shaped to cut away at the ears and others are not, but they are all basically the same idea. The Elevator is gorgeous leather and quite chunky, and extremely expensive! That's about it. I like the Saber one a lot and its not as chunky as the elevator so probably suits Bloss better.

x

Tempi

Visit site
this is what i thought, that there really isnt much difference. Woman with the advanced horse has said i can borrow hers, but its a weymouth one and altho bloss goes well in double i dont ever ride her in one as i prefer a snaffle. I suppose i could always just try it on her.

lillie07

Visit site
I have an Elevator and wouldnt be without it. The leather is far supior to any other "comfort" bridles I have seen and the headpiece is designed with cut back (with very soft leather bits in) to allow for the ears which i dont think others have. I had the Albion "comfort" before the Elevator but the different in my horse since changing to the Elevator is incredible. I am saving up for the double too....
grin.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
My friend has one and the large D ring on the noseband has has caused an awful sore on the side of his face where it traps skin whenever the bit is moved in his mouth. Not something you would expect for that type of cost and for a bridle described as 'a comfort bridle' I'm not sure her horse would would agree.

Arent they a bit like the emperors new clothes?

flyingfeet

Visit site
Leathers vary, but most comfort bridles will produce the same effect as the elevator.

Although IMHO if the dressage peeps didn't overtighten their nosebands, then they wouldn't need an elevator in the first place!!

druid

Visit site
No difference imo bar the ear cut outs, I had both. If I remember rightly the bradoon sliphead on the elevator double bridle can be removed easily so you could take it off the one you're borrowing to try?

lillie07

Visit site
I had the Albion and changed it for the Elevator. IMO the Elevator is by far the better bridle. I really noticed a huge improvement in my mare when I changed to the Elevator- she was generally a more comfortable horse and seemed happier in her head (there was no real problem before!!) And I certainly dont overtighten my noseband!!!! I would recommend the Elevator to anybody and think its definately worth every penny....

pootler

Visit site
I have a heritage comfort bridle, can't say I have noticed a massive difference but I always use a prolite pad on the headpiece of my other bridle (poor man's elevator!)

The only problem with the Heritage is that the noseband isn't that wide across the face, skimped a bit on the leather. My boy has a slightly roman nose but not enough to justify the noseband being not quite wide enough.

I only use it at shows for jumping/xc so I've lived with the fact it's very slightly small.

The other point is that often the browbands on bridles can be a bit tight without the owner realising. Sometimes just getting a larger browband can help. A bigger browband stops pulling the headpiece onto the back of the ears.

Halfstep

Visit site
Very good point about browbands! My horse takes a cob sized bridle, but I always have to buy an X-full browband to go on it! Bit of a pain, but if I have a smaller browband on you can really see how it pulls the bridle forward onto the ears. Must be very uncomfortable for the horse.
Prolite pads are great. I use one on my rolled double bridle to stop all the straps from pinching on the top of the head.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I have the Heritage Comfort bridle and my friend has the Elevator, there is absolutely no difference in either the design or the quality of the leather - I borrowed her elevator and Sirena was very happy in it - but then she is very happy in the Heritage so can't say that it is worth the extra £100 or so
crazy.gif