Embryo transfer anyone any info please

Rosyryan

Visit site
I am considering embryo transfer for my mare, (she's 17) and a maiden, as don't really feel that it would be fair to expect her to produce a foal at rising 18, secretly don't fancy the idea of rearing a foal if she is unable to care for it! been there and got the t-shirt, (strapping colt who thought I was his Mum, him 15hs at a year, me 136lbs not a happy memory!!

Anyone's girl undergone the treatment and the outcome, my vet states that she would be a good candidate, but would like some feed-back from others.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
(she's 17) and a maiden, as don't really feel that it would be fair to expect her to produce a foal at rising 18, secretly don't fancy the idea of rearing a foal if she is unable to care for it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would she not be able to care for it????

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Perhaps they meant if the mare died or something like that
crazy.gif

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Agree with Sallyf sadly Mares die young or old. Wouldnt consider 17/18 too old to be honest if looked after. Usually just dont take if too old which can happen with embryo transfers which cost a lot more.

Tia

Visit site
Embryo transfer is very expensive and over here it is generally only done with the best quality mares who are worth a small fortune. You would have to find a recipient mare and generally it would be you who is responsible for all the financial costs relating to both the recipient mare and your own donor mare.

If money is no object, and I'm talking thousands here, then go for it!

_jetset_

Visit site
My friend's mare had her first foal at 17, and she was absolutely fine. She broke her shoulder when she was 15, then put in foal at 16 and lost it, so was put in again the year after and has produced a beautiful filly. She is now in foal again...

Rosyryan

Visit site
It's just that Job's comforter is dripping doubts in my ear at the moment, there isn't a great deal of evidence to suggest that she wouldn't be able to produce and rear a healthy foal, but you know how some people just can't help putting their opinions about the place.

Roll on the HAPPY day when I have my own yard and 4 acres, bit of a pipe-dream atm, thanks very much for all thoughts though!!