Emigration destinations

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Bear with me... It is c&t related :p

So, in light of this winter's weather ruining most of our plans, what emigration destinations do you covet for less play stopping weather, a good equine competition scene, and good hacking?

tristar

Visit site
portugal looks lovely, but possibly too hot in the summer., often go window shopping.

portugal in the winter, brittany in the summer, occasional visits to england....... oops need large air conditioned horsebox to cruise between the three.......makes note to buy lotto ticket.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
portugal looks lovely, but possibly too hot in the summer., often go window shopping.

portugal in the winter, brittany in the summer, occasional visits to england....... oops need large air conditioned horsebox to cruise between the three.......makes note to buy lotto ticket.

Yes, one of those lorries that you can keep your sports car in the side of and costs more than the average house

tda

Visit site
Thought I might be able to get both, an old style Bedford tk and some sand. . . . . . . .😎😂😂😂

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
New Zealand, is pretty good, would tick all the boxes for you.

Yep, does seem to be the best choice... Will just have to wait until tonight and hope some of the down under hho'rs will come along and point out some massive downsides to NZ that make the UK seem delightful :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Thought I might be able to get both, an old style Bedford tk and some sand. . . . . . . .��������

Hahaha - you're basically part of the establishment now!

silv

Visit site
Yep, does seem to be the best choice... Will just have to wait until tonight and hope some of the down under hho'rs will come along and point out some massive downsides to NZ that make the UK seem delightful :D

There are quite a few downsides, being so far away from everywhere it means foreign holidays cost a fortune, no hopping over to Europe for mini breaks, plus internal flights are very expensive as is the cost of living. Much less choice of goods in the shops and very difficult to get a decent curry though that is improving. Dogs are not welcome most places either. No bridleways, but in some places there is forestry or council land on which riding is allowed. I keep riding on the road to a minimum as Kiwis are really nice people until they get behind the wheel of a car, which they can do at 15. The road toll and standard of driving is awful.

Upsides would be that is a very easy country to live in, the lovely climate makes up for a great deal. Their is very little crime and red tape compared to the UK. The roads are much quieter as is everywhere.

silv

Visit site
There are quite a few downsides, being so far away from everywhere it means foreign holidays cost a fortune, no hopping over to Europe for mini breaks, plus internal flights are very expensive as is the cost of living. Much less choice of goods in the shops and very difficult to get a decent curry though that is improving. Dogs are not welcome most places either. No bridleways, but in some places there is forestry or council land on which riding is allowed. I keep riding on the road to a minimum as Kiwis are really nice people until they get behind the wheel of a car, which they can do at 15. The road toll and standard of driving is awful.

Upsides would be that is a very easy country to live in, the lovely climate makes up for a great deal. Their is very little crime and red tape compared to the UK. The roads are much quieter as is everywhere.

Just a couple of hacking photos one from today and the other from last Sunday. Beautiful Autumn weather.

xUSIKQY.jpg

EWKhuQ3.jpg

JustMe22

Visit site
South Africa. Great climate, decent competition scene in Gauteng and Cape Town. All yards are full service with grooms to muck out (it's a huge pleasure keeping horses here!). Hacking can be amazing - either along empty beaches or through fields and forests depending where you live. Plus, living here in general is amazing :)

Curly_Feather

Visit site
South Africa. Great climate, decent competition scene in Gauteng and Cape Town. All yards are full service with grooms to muck out (it's a huge pleasure keeping horses here!). Hacking can be amazing - either along empty beaches or through fields and forests depending where you live. Plus, living here in general is amazing :)

I will second that! Excellent riding weather all year round. And the exchange rate is very kind to Brits :D

Northern

Visit site
Yessssss!!!

Come to Aus, bigger than NZ and the sheep are more spread out :p

Rain? What's rain? Will make you appreciate every single drop! But it's always dry enough to ride outside! (don't mention the gales and dust storms we have just had though...). We have beasts from the south in the winter, but most don't make it far up the East coast, poor old Tasmania bears the brunt of those... Scenery is amazing, you just have to watch out for snakes/bushfires/epic storms/kangas/charging wombats/non rabid foxes/rabbit holes/drop bears :D

You won't regret it ;)

CUh9AmD.jpg

LteFXAY.jpg

pXMuL5f.jpg

Did I convince you? :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Northern you are supposed to be pointing out all the downsides... :biggrin3:

SA is not somewhere I had ever thought of, but sounds pretty loverly. Daft question that I have no idea how to phrase in a pc way.... But do you feel safe living there? I've only ever been to West Africa

I think NZ probably wins over Oz, purely because so much space freaks me out a little... I'm just a little island girl :p

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Australia for sure. NZ is lovely but gets far too cold, and I can't comment on SA. I'd say the west coast of Australia but I'm biased. We have fewer people, less traffic, and more space. Also less rain and warmer weather but those are both good and bad. WA also has the best beaches, no matter what the postcards look like!

Plus good health care, reasonable cost of living and plenty of horse stuff. Mind you the east coast has more horse stuff, but more people, less space, and the sun set on the wrong side of the ocean.

28660855_10214119438672777_3997133873768471050_n.jpg

19396895_10212029065494754_4515435389269876683_n.jpg

You can see Perth in the background. We are so close, yet so rural.

14352452_10209420105472384_7789618250655780208_o.jpg

Curly_Feather

Visit site
SA is not somewhere I had ever thought of, but sounds pretty loverly. Daft question that I have no idea how to phrase in a pc way.... But do you feel safe living there? I've only ever been to West Africa

Safety is an issue here. We tend to always be vigilant and aware, and take measures to make ourselves safer.

I've never lived anywhere else, so it's difficult to talk about how it "feels" in comparison to elsewhere in the world. Weirdly enough, even with all the racial and tribal tensions, and the economic disparity, I think this is an incredibly tolerant and friendly country in a lot of ways. And of course, it is beautiful and wonderful and African.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've been out riding her in France with a German woman who comes over to this neck of the woods every ten weeks or so. We go on the all day ride or the three-day ride organised by Anna who runs Horse Holidays France.

She now lives in Northern Italy, who says the place is wonderful; she has at least one horse of her own, a Quarterhorse, and has had several in the past.

Good climate, good food, varied landscapes, easy to travel down to the Adriatic or the Mediterranean or up into Central Europe or the Italian Alps for winter sports.

Northern

Visit site
Australia for sure. NZ is lovely but gets far too cold, and I can't comment on SA. I'd say the west coast of Australia but I'm biased. We have fewer people, less traffic, and more space. Also less rain and warmer weather but those are both good and bad. WA also has the best beaches, no matter what the postcards look like!

Plus good health care, reasonable cost of living and plenty of horse stuff. Mind you the east coast has more horse stuff, but more people, less space, and the sun set on the wrong side of the ocean.

28660855_10214119438672777_3997133873768471050_n.jpg

19396895_10212029065494754_4515435389269876683_n.jpg

You can see Perth in the background. We are so close, yet so rural.

14352452_10209420105472384_7789618250655780208_o.jpg

Always wanted to visit Perth, may need to now :p We are lacking an ocean :( plus too many politicians!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a friend just outside Perth who has a large retirement livery and does spelling too - & am intending to visit - but have asked her to remove ALL the spiders!!! I don't think I could live there tho, not with the huge fluctuations in temps, nor the fires/floods that seem to happen regularly.

1 of my brothers lives in NZ, from what he's shown me its looks great, they are a stones throw from Welly, but again the worry about quakes can put some off.

Brother No 2 lives nr the south of France, about an hour from the coast. He has THE most amazing hacking there, only drawback is farriers and vets as none that close, but they all cope, so I think thats where I would go :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Brother No 2 lives nr the south of France, about an hour from the coast. He has THE most amazing hacking there, only drawback is farriers and vets as none that close, but they all cope, so I think thats where I would go :)

If you have an idea of where you want to be, it's fairly easy to get an idea of how many farriers and vets are around that area. You just ask Google Maps to show you where they are.

For example, I asked for farriers around Carpentras, and got this map.

The same works for horse vets, and found a dentist, too.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Spain. The horses (I have had mostly Spanish horses for the past 20 years, here in Ireland), the people, the culture - the culture of horses above all - the food, the weather, the architecture: all of it.