Emissions test - any tips

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I had an old fiat which failed emissions. A mechanic told me to get a special additive, pop it in with some fuel and go for a long drive in top gear. I did a lap of the M60 and it passed at re-inspection.

Cant remember the additive I'm afraid.

Birker2020

Visit site
My car failed then passed after a filter change and a blast up the motorway to clear its lungs. Pootling round country lanes doesn't do emissions a lot of good mechanic said.
Yep that's what my mechanic said when I had a cracked turbo pipe and had to drive home from a weekend wedding away in Nottingham at 40mph down the M1 as I had literally no poke. He said it can be caused by a build up of soot and it backs up. He said I need to take it for a blast down the motorway every night if I can.

maddielove

Visit site
This stuff is good, I use it periodically https://www.halfords.com/motoring/e...rmula-gold-diesel-treatment-500ml-166705.html top up a full tank (which is an absolute thought these days, I used to use Vpower for this but can't stomach the cost now) and go for a blast (30mins ish) with good revs on the motorway

If you have anyone locally that offers hydrogen engine cleaning it is also great, I get it done annually before my MOT now and only costs around £30.

Nasicus

Visit site
I stick a bottle of Redex DPF Cleaner in every time I do a full tank (yikes) and go for a high revs, 4th gear scoot up the dual carriageway or motorway for 30+ mins to get everything hot enough to burn the soot away. Also try to go up the D/C or M/W at least once a week to keep on top of things. Since doing that for the last year, the 'Risk of Filter Blocking' warning that plagued me when I bought the car has not been seen in at least 6 months :D

scruffyponies

Visit site
Thanks folks.
The old girl has no dpf, but have decided to risk £100 or so on a change of oil and filters, give it some right foot with redex in the tank, and see what happens.

Reactions: tda
Visit site
Depends what it is - if it’s the DPF that is clogged then doing the above may help… my old car actually needed a new filter which cost £600 ?

maisie06

Visit site
My Sorento just failed on emissions.
Has anyone any great ideas to get the darn thing through a retest?

italian tune up before the test! Probably just needs filters, fuel and air changing then a good hammering, especially ifyou only do short journeys - I assume it's diesel?