EMS: Adiponectin vs glucose challenge

ponyparty

Visit site
Bruce was tested for EMS recently with the glucose challenge test. He tested negative but is still very reactive to grass - just 40 mins extra turnout in a muzzle resulted in a cresty neck at the weekend!

Vet has suggested adiponectin and sent me a data sheet about it but I’m too hot and sweaty and tired to digest it properly. Can anyone explain this to me in simple terms? Or does anyone have a similar experience?

SEL

Visit site
Well we couldn't do the glucose challenge because my mare has PSSM and that was highly likely to cause an episode with her, so adiponectin test was advised for me - she needs steroid injections and vets want to assess her laminitis risk first.

Not sure what fact sheet you've got, but I did a fair amount of on-line reading. If they've got low levels of it then they are higher risk for laminitis. Its a straight forward blood test.

ponyparty

Visit site
Thanks SEL - I did manage, the next day, to read and properly digest the info that the vet had given me (a data sheet from Liphook). Makes sense. Think my pregnant, overheated brain was just going into overdrive that night, couldn't focus on anything.
He had the blood test Friday and should get the results today hopefully.

ponyparty

Visit site
Gahhh so Bruce has "evidence of metabolic obesity" - adiponectin 0.50 ug/ml.
His insulin is working well so the plan is to continue with careful diet and exercise and reassess in 6 weeks.