EMS and lack of exercise

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
My 15 year old gelding has Cushings. ACTH test was 140 and is now in normal range - currently on 1 tablet of Prascend. He has just come down with laminitis for the first time ever! He is ok and its not bad, but obviously I am worried for him. The vet wants to test for EMS which obviously is fine with me, however, I have read that treatment and management involves exercise. Here lies my problem. William is currently on rehab for a hind leg annular ligament desmotomy done at Newmarket a few weeks ago. I am supposed to be up to 40 minutes walk twice a day which is now none existent. What difference to EMS does exercise make? I have no idea how the leg will fair up now the walking has stopped and feel in a bit of a lose/lose situation.

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences are much appreciated.

Thanks

amandap

Visit site
Exercize is important but you have to prioritize. Are the hooves and laminitis stabilized enough? Has your vet liaised with Newmarket?
Strict diet is also crucial.
A good chat with your vet and Newmarket about how to safely proceed is what I would do. If deemed safe to exercize I expect you will have to slowly build up again. Sorry, probably not much help as I've no experience of surgery.

Good luck.

NooNoo59

Visit site
I am having the test done on Thursday, mine is in work so not worried on that front, although its difficult to do with the weather we are having!

OLDGREYMARE

Visit site
If your horse has EMS but cannot exercise your vet will probably presribe Metformin tablets until he can exercise properly,suggest you join the EMS facebook group,they are wonderful and Andrea and co will answer all your questions.