EMS experiences/ info

wispagold

Visit site
This is a bit of a long story but in short my horse has just been diagnosed with suspected EMS and I am looking for advice/ other people's experience.

Long story

Background - my horse is a 15.2, 17yr old mare 3/4TB and 1/4 Connie. I've had her since she was 2 and we have evented up to novice but in recent years we have been doing more hacking and schooling due to my work commitments. She is fairly quirky and accident prone. I have her on full livery as when she is in a routine that suits her she is a doddle but out of that she can be a right stress head. Doesn't cope well with box rest as her backs legs fill when stood in (she wears equi sox every night). She also weaves aggressively when she is upset. But she also won't live out as she is very prone to mud fever and doesn't like being out if it is cold/raining. If she wants to come in she will run up and down the fence until someone gets her in for she goes through something.

Up until last summer she has always been in full time work (apart from when off for her various previous injuries). I found out I was pregnant last May and mainly just hacked out. She is quite spooky to ride in the school but brilliant in traffic. I stopped riding in October but one of the ladies on my yard hacked her out for me once a week. I had my little girl in February this year. Just as I was about to start riding again my mare came in from the field with a big windgall on her off fore. I had the vet out and she was 4/10 lame in trot with a consistent head nod. As she doesn't box rest well and I was in no rush to start riding as I am breastfeeding and struggling to get much time away from my baby, I agreed with the vet that we just stick to her current routine of out from 8:30am until 3pm, cold hose and just rest her and see what happens. Her leg wasn't scanned but vet suspected DDFT damage. Leg was reviewed after 6 weeks with no change and I was told it could take a year to heal, it could take 2... Not ideal with her being 17 but not much I could do and at least mentally she was happy and pretty comfortable.

About a week after the vet came out she came in from the field lame on her front leg in walk. We tried to keep her in but ended up having to turn her out as she was so unhappy in the stable. The lameness got worse, despite her being on 2 danilon a day. She became very pottery in both front legs and started to behave in the stable (a bad sign!) so was on complete box rest and I arranged with the vets that I would take her in for a full lameness work up (at this point I still thought the lameness was linked to the tendon injury) . I don't have my own transport and with the baby I had arranged to drop her off on the Sunday when my husband could help me. On the Saturday (about 10 days after she became lame in walk) I ended up having an emergency call out as she was not happy moving around, was paddling and had a classic laminitic stance.

The vet immediately suspected metabolic laminitis. She wasn't reacting to hoof testers but had a slightly raised digital pulse (more prodominate in her near fore, opposite to the damaged tendon). Shoes came off the same day. Bloods taken to test for EMS and cushings. Increase danilon to 3 a day. Starvation diet of soaked hay and hifi lite.

Body condition wise she is fatter than I would normally have her, in particular her neck looked cresty to me, but I had put that down to her age. She is by no means obese, people one the yard kept telling me she looked 'well' rather than fat. It has been tricky managing her weight with her being out of work but she isn't a horse who usually gets fat. She was on grass and hay. Hifi lite and token handful of cool mix with her danilon. The grass isn't particularly lush but there is plenty of it.

The blood tests came back today confirming EMS but also came back on the higher end of normal for cushings. So vet wants to retest in a month. She has improved a lot over the last 3 days and is looking much more comfortable on her feet. Vet has said she can have her normal shoes back on when she is sounder.

I don't have any experience with this so looking for advice on how best to manage her going forward. The vet wants her walked out every day starting at 30mins and building to an hour. I'm going to have to do this in hand with either baby in a carrier or have the pushchair next to the school. She is on full livery because I struggle for time with work commitments. This will be even worse with a baby when I go back to work in November. My full livery doesn't cover exercise and I can't afford to pay someone to do this whilst I am on stat mat pay. This mare owes me nothing and I would have quite happily retired her, at least until baby is old enough to be left with someone else, but it doesn't look like that will be an option now.

Does anyone have any experience successfully managing a horse with EMS that it out of work? At the moment she still has an existing tendon injury. Also, from the limited reading I have done, the blood test should not have been done whilst she was in pain so I am unsure if I should raise this with the vet? She has also not fasted at the time of the blood test.

Sorry that ended up so long. It is the first time I have written it all down! Any help gratefully recieved.

wispagold

Visit site
Wow that ended up a lot longer than I expected! Sorry! I will be surprised if anyone reads all that!

scats

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your horse. I had a pony with EMS who couldn’t work properly due to a tracheal collapse, but we kep it under control with walk and trot work. Unfortunately she then did an annular ligament injury and could only do walking work. Within a few weeks we had lost control and she started showing signs of lami. Her EMS, however, was out of control. The levels were so high they were no longer readable. She was a very good doer but actually one of the slimmest she had been at the time.
As a result of all her issues, I decided to call it a day with her. She was 10. However, this was a very unusual case. I know many people who manage EMS pony’s who aren’t in work.
I hope things work out for you.

Leo Walker

Visit site
You need a cushings test ASAP. At her age with lammi for the first time shes a prime candidate, and thats much more likely than EMS at this stage.

EllenJay

Visit site
Sounds very similar to my old boy. When he was 17 he had very similar symptoms. He was treated with the EMS with Metformin and he was on 16 a day for a month. They basically reset his metobalism. After a month, the weight started to drop off him - prior to that he was almost on a starvation dietvsnd was still gaining weight.
When he came off these tablets, he went straight onto prascend.
He returned to work about 4 months later, with regular turnout. I continued to work him - light work only - for another 5 years. He is now in his 6th year of happy retirement - out 24/7 - although he is now on borrowed time as the Cushing's is gradually taking over. But since we managed to restart the metobalism he hasn't shown any signsvof EMS.
Good luck with your girl - it's a long road

wispagold

Visit site
You need a cushings test ASAP. At her age with lammi for the first time shes a prime candidate, and thats much more likely than EMS at this stage.

When I spoke to the vet he said he had tested for cushings. She was in the normal range but at the top end. He wants to retest in a month. Or do you mean a different test?

wispagold

Visit site
If cushings test is high why isn't vet starting her on prascend? Can have v good responses to it v quickly - worth asking.

The cushings test was in the normal range but top end of normal so going to retest in a month.

wispagold

Visit site
Sounds very similar to my old boy. When he was 17 he had very similar symptoms. He was treated with the EMS with Metformin and he was on 16 a day for a month. They basically reset his metobalism. After a month, the weight started to drop off him - prior to that he was almost on a starvation dietvsnd was still gaining weight.
When he came off these tablets, he went straight onto prascend.
He returned to work about 4 months later, with regular turnout. I continued to work him - light work only - for another 5 years. He is now in his 6th year of happy retirement - out 24/7 - although he is now on borrowed time as the Cushing's is gradually taking over. But since we managed to restart the metobalism he hasn't shown any signsvof EMS.
Good luck with your girl - it's a long road

Thank you. The vet did mention Metaformin. Nice to hear they can still enjoy turnout and you have successfully managed to avoid EMS symptoms

Britestar

Visit site
My 23yr old retired tb x was diagnosed with ems this spring.

She doesn't box rest either. She was muzzled, soaked hay, into a small well grazed paddock. Over the first 6 weeks she lost 70kg. She's still in the paddock during the day, in at night only with soaked hay, but she now has the muzzle off.

She's maintained her weight loss, and is holding steady at 520kg. She had a short course of danilon.

We will be re testing her blood soon. Her insulin was 138, but was normal acth.

Micky

Visit site
I don’t understand why your vet isn’t putting her on a trial of prascend if she was at the higher end of normal, cushings and ems often go hand in hand. have a look at the laminitis site for lots of good info on all aspects of managing ems/ cushings.

meleeka

Visit site
If she’s got Cushings induced laminitis you really needs her on meds ASAP. I’d ask for a TRH test, more accurate than the normal one.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'd also ask for a Prascend trial. I managed my Exmoor without medication for EMS for 11 years; however he was in work (lots of hacking, using hoof boots, so I could trim him more regularly). It was only towards the end of last year that he started to struggle, then he had enteric colitis in January. He was retired at Christmas at the age of 27. Due to the dry Spring he was fine, but when we started getting showers at the end of last month there were early signs of laminitis, so I let him go last week, although he was still very perky and nobody else noticed a change in him.

In your shoes I would medicate for Cushings and go from there, especially if you'll struggle to exercise her with a baby. I can't see 30 mins walking in hand being enough - you need to raise her heart rate. Other management option is to muzzle and turn out with soaked hay, which they can eat through the muzzle. That way she has movement, but not grass. That worked for me for a few summers - I only stopped because he'd lost his incisors by last year, so couldn't eat well through the muzzle anymore.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If she’s got Cushings induced laminitis you really needs her on meds ASAP. I’d ask for a TRH test, more accurate than the normal one.

Sorry, I meant a TRH cushings test, I didnt put TRH in my post for some reason. Its more sensitive and definitely more accurate. With something at the higher end and currently suffering with lammi you are almost certainly looking at it being related to cushings

wispagold

Visit site
I'd also ask for a Prascend trial. I managed my Exmoor without medication for EMS for 11 years; however he was in work (lots of hacking, using hoof boots, so I could trim him more regularly). It was only towards the end of last year that he started to struggle, then he had enteric colitis in January. He was retired at Christmas at the age of 27. Due to the dry Spring he was fine, but when we started getting showers at the end of last month there were early signs of laminitis, so I let him go last week, although he was still very perky and nobody else noticed a change in him.

In your shoes I would medicate for Cushings and go from there, especially if you'll struggle to exercise her with a baby. I can't see 30 mins walking in hand being enough - you need to raise her heart rate. Other management option is to muzzle and turn out with soaked hay, which they can eat through the muzzle. That way she has movement, but not grass. That worked for me for a few summers - I only stopped because he'd lost his incisors by last year, so couldn't eat well through the muzzle anymore.

Thanks, it isn't just the baby preventing work. She is already lame from a tendon injury so I can't do more than walk in handnl with her anyway at the moment!

wispagold

Visit site
Sorry, I meant a TRH cushings test, I didnt put TRH in my post for some reason. Its more sensitive and definitely more accurate. With something at the higher end and currently suffering with lammi you are almost certainly looking at it being related to cushings

Thanks. I should probably have also said that I don't know the vet that came out to see her as I moved to a new area 2 years ago. The vet was not very forthcoming with information so I think I might arrange to box her over to my old vets and ask for the TRH test and to retest for EMS. I really want to be confident in the diagnosis before I get too far down the line for treatment.