EMS

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Have a 11.2hh Welsh Sec A rising 12, have owned her for nearly 2 years and till the hard frost no problems with her not counting last spring when turned out on spring grass and got a little pottery brought her back in and after that no problem out for the summer. Now she has laminitis have found out from a previous owner that when she had her she was diagnosed as having EMS and put on Metforlin not sure if I've spelt that right, so asked my vet to do a blood test and he says straight forward laminitis, she's on box rest on a very deep bed and bless her taking it in her stride. Has anyone else have the same problem and how have they managed the condition, my vet has said if not right within a couple of weeks will do the blood test.

CazD

Visit site
My mare has EMS. It was diagnosed with a blood test by the vet. She is currently in the middle of a laminitis attack as the EMS makes them VERY susceptible to lami. I think the Metformin helps to kick start weightloss as mine has only been prescribed it twice, she doesn't take it on a permanent basis. My mare is managed by strict strip grazing in summer and soaked hay in winter. Lots of exercise is best. I find keeping laminitis at bay much harder in the winter tbh as keeping food in her system but restricting the amount is harder with hay and the dark mornings and evenings make exercise impossible around my working hours.

Visit site
We have a wee Shetland mare with EMS. She lives a lammi lifestyle and has, in 7 years of having it, come down with sore feet twice. Both of which she spent 2 weeks in with a bit of bute before gradual reintroduction to living out again over a 2 week period. She doesn't work and she doesn't breed any more. She is quite happy and to be honest does enough faffing about with the TB's to count as work lol!

It's not that hard a condition to control and now you are aware of it you can start planning a summer routine.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
She's been lame on and off for 2 months and has been in for most of that time and we have gotten her weight down quite alot. The vet wanted her feet trimmed right back but my farrier said it would cause more problems and her front feet seem long, he's coming next week, let her out in small paddock while I mucked her stable out a little pottery going out and coming in but she did enjoy her roll.