Encouraging feather regrowth?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
The dreaded bog burn :rolleyes: Can anyone recommend me anything that will help hurry the regrowth up? Coblet's feather has gone from the very bottom of his pasterns (though only about halfway up), which has left him looking like he's wearing rather dodgy flares that are an inch or so too short :eek:

Ideas appreciated!! :D

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Steroid gel lol! We had to use a steroid gel on my TB's legs and he has the most camp fluffy curly feathers now :D

Haha! Where did you get steroid gel from?

Have no magic remedy, My two mares both have bog burn, but had to post because I love the idea of dodgy flares!! :D

You think I'm kidding :p His backs have burned most of the way up and look horrendous, but the fronts only seem to have gone underneath by an inch or two. They really do look like flares that have shrunk in the wash :eek:

CobsGalore

Visit site
Sorry nothing constructive to say, other than I've been through this over the last 6 months from my horse growing back his feather. He looked very silly for a long time!

Finally at the weekend, I noticed that they had touched the ground! :D yay

Back to your OP - His feathers should start to grow back now it's dry, and then maybe look into reducing the amount of bog burn next year instead? I think pig oil will help protect them, but you can't put this on in the summer.

Greylegs

Visit site
Not tried it on feathers but the hairy highland's mane is doing great now with regular applications of Megatek diluted 1part Megatek to 4parts water. The stuff is very sticky undiluted so I dilute and spray it on. Supposed to work on all hair and also great for weak hooves and fingernails! So may be worth a go on coblet's feathers.

Available from www.tailgator.co.uk

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
Me too with my boy.....I was gutted as he had no feathers for our wedding pics but with pig oil / sulphur powder and equivite supplement yay we are fully feathered and showing again!

Joanna710

Visit site
My friesian had bog burn this winter, and as he had quite a small amount of feather anyway, I did a bad and clipped his legs :O Will let it grow back in, but it looked ridiculous as the whole front of his foot was bald, and he had horrid greasy-looking black curtains either side... Imagine a grungy looking teenager, but in hoof form :D

Last edited:

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't want to clip them... he has huge feet, huge knees, a big belly and very short legs... he looks stoopid without them! :D

I've used PO&S throughout the winter, and we didn't have any problems with bog burn last year. I think it's a case of moving yards and different soil type, but oil was applied most weekends.

TChamp - how long did it take them to come back through??

Might try the megatek... it's driving me mad!!

loulabelle

Visit site
Mine has similar although his backs haven't been affected just the fronts...looked like I had shaved them :/

Ive been using wonder gel on them and it seems to be doing the trick :)
Using it for mane rub from full necked rugs on 2 other of my horses too and that seems to be coming along nicely also

Definately investing in sulphur and pig oil for next winter as was absolutley gutted when I noticed what had happened, never had the problem of bog burn before :(