ENCYSTED RED WORM????

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with their horse having encysted red worm?

how much weight did they lose? How long did they take to recover? My poor boy has just been treated for positive red worm blood test results and I’m just looking for other peoples experiences !

Attachments

• 1006576A-05DA-4764-802C-D1BF059C3928.jpeg
    1006576A-05DA-4764-802C-D1BF059C3928.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 27

Louby

Visit site
My horse as a 4 yr old was wormed with the rest of the yard with Pramox. I moved to a new yard a couple of weeks later and she had to be worm counted as part of their rules which came back with high encysted red worm count. Tbh I was shocked. I rang the company as had paid a bit extra for advice and they were surprised too, given she had recently been wormed with Pramox. They said due to the strength of the wormer, they wouldnt recommend doing her with the same again and she had 5 day Panacur Guard instead, was re worm counted and she was fine. She didnt lose any weight, appeared fit and well but did share a field with a foal and I was told this may have been the reason why.

meleeka

Visit site
A friends horse did, despite being wormed previously. The field was previously used and abused by people that didn’t bother so possibly because of that. He didn’t really lose weight, but was quieter than normal. I’m not sure of the actual treatment (apart from worming with Pramox) but I think he was given steroids too. I thought it odd that the vet recommended Pramox but I’ve no idea of the thinking behind it. He was then worm counted clear and was back to normal within a couple of weeks although The problem reoccurred the next year. The other horse in the field is unaffected.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to a house cat, three yard cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Worm fact for the day. When having a long chat with vet about worming for ERW because of colic she divulged that 80% of horses will only have 20% of the worm burden yet some 20% carry the remaining 80% which is why when worm counting horses on the same field and worming regime they can show vastly different counts. It made perfect sense having seen the results for 6 different horses at my old yard where they cross grazed all the fields religiously. We couldn’t understand why two had such high worm counts and the rest were clear.