End of an era

Jingleballs

Visit site
So tomorrow, after almost 9 years of ownership, I'll be handing my wonderful boy over to his new owner.

I've got mixed emotions about it all. Part of me can't believe that I won't own him any more - that I won't see him almost every day, won't ride him again. Another part of me is relieved - I've found him a good home with an amazing new owner who will spoil him and just potter about with him.

I've never really managed to get the balance right since starting a family - I can still manage to ride him 3 or 4 times a week but everything feels so rushed and when I ride him lots, it has a knock on affect on other things (time with family etc). I'm also more nervous than I was pre baby and miss the sort of horse ownership I was used to - up at the yard for hours every day, out competing and having lessons. I feel I can't commit the time that he needs and the cost of keeping him on full livery is just too much.

Tomorrow is going to be tough but his new owner is keen that I visit regularly and has even offered that I can ride him when I want - luckly he's not going too far so that will be possible. I've also asked that if she ever decide to sell I get first refusal as he doesn't deserved to be passed about.

So farewell handsome boy - you are the most amazing horse that anyone could ask for and I love you to to moon.

Sheep

Visit site
Aww - I'm sure you will be sad to see him go, but great that you've found such a lovely home for your handsome lad.

Wishing you (and him!) all the best.

indiat

Visit site
It's sad but it sounds like you have done the best thing and found him a wonderful new home. His new owner sounds lovely as well, so hopefully you won't lose touch.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I did the same last year, had mine for the same amount of time as you as well. Being able to visit has really helped, and knowing he's safe is a Godsend. To be honest I felt relieved that I didn't have to worry about him any more, and put some of the money I was saving aside for a monthly treat to myself.
Hope it goes well tomorrow xx

Jingleballs

Visit site
I did the same last year, had mine for the same amount of time as you as well. Being able to visit has really helped, and knowing he's safe is a Godsend. To be honest I felt relieved that I didn't have to worry about him any more, and put some of the money I was saving aside for a monthly treat to myself.
Hope it goes well tomorrow xx

Sorry to hear that mince pie but gad it worked out for you. I said I would only sell him to the right person and luckily the first person who came to see him (I did have to fend off some dreamers!) bought him and she really does seem perfect and is so keen for me to visit and keep in touch. In my mind he's still mine - I can't seem to compute that he doesn't belong to me but I'm sure it will sink in.

I'm also going to save up the money I'd have spent on him so that it doesn't get sucked into just paying the bills etc - I worked out the other day how much I'll save - makes me wonder how I afforded it in the first place!!!

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
Such a hard step to do but you're doing it for the right reasons for both of you. I'm sure he will be very happy in his new home.

Its understandable to feel sad and happy all at once, plus do keep in touch with his new owner, it is great to hear how they are getting on :)

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks Wills. I hope you find a lovely buyer/sharer for your horse.

I think I'll be ok tomorrow - I spent a couple of hours with him last night just brushing him and sitting with him - I don't want to ride him again - I had a lovely hack on him the day before she confirmed she was buying him and since then it just doesn't seem right to ride again (plus the weather here is awful).