End of my horse owning days

Supertrooper

Visit site
So my loan pony has gone back to WHW, no fault of his own but unfortunately my health making it difficult to look after him

So that’s the end of me being a horse owner. Such an odd feeling and don’t quite know what to do with myself. Not helped by being furloughed too.

I’m happy in the knowledge he’ll be extremely well cared for there and that in the future he’ll be rehomed again but god I’m going to miss him

Ruftysdad

Visit site
My old horse who is on retirement livery recently became reluctant to go out in the mornings and also kept bringing himself in, during the day. The Y.O decided he did not like his field mates and put him out just with a pet cow. Now he is as happy as Larry and often does not want to come in. Saying that, he lives in at night in a large sectioned off area of a barn with a donkey companion. Donkey is the boss. Obviously has gone off his own species

Pointless1

Visit site
My old horse who is on retirement livery recently became reluctant to go out in the mornings and also kept bringing himself in, during the day. The Y.O decided he did not like his field mates and put him out just with a pet cow. Now he is as happy as Larry and often does not want to come in. Saying that, he lives in at night in a large sectioned off area of a barn with a donkey companion. Donkey is the boss. Obviously has gone off his own species
That's nice but bit of a strange comment on this thread!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm sorry its come to this, but I think you have made the right decision. If you still want to be around horses there are people that will be over joyed to let you come up and groom and give their horses a cuddle. And if you fancied driving you would be welcomed with open arms. Sitting on a carriage is much less strenuous than riding and caring for a horse.

Look after yourself. You will be feeling very strange at the minute. Its a huge change. Be kind to yourself while you readjust

rascal

Visit site
I hope you can find a way of sill being around horses, my Mother in law who is now in her 80s also decided no more horses when her two old boys went, the companion loan pony also went back to his owners.

Chappie

Visit site
Sorry to hear you had to do this. I hope your health can improve and you can somehow still be involved with horses in the future. At least there's the knowledge WHW will take care of him and find a good home.
I just got furloughed too and yard is in full lockdown - I might have to give up my loan of 5 years if the company I work for restructures or his owners move him.
I hope you can keep busy at home to keep your mind occupied x

DD

Visit site
Sorry to hear this hope your health improves, its good though, that your pony has been able to go back to WHW must give you great peace of mind x

Surbie

Visit site
I am sorry you've had to do this - I really hope your health improves and you can find a way to be involved with horses in the future, if that's what you want to do.

LeneHorse

Visit site
This must be really tough for you, on top of everything else that is happening just now. It is something that most of us will have to face at some point and I imagine it will be one of the hardest decisions to make. At least yours has gone back to a good place.

honetpot

Visit site
I can only imagine what its like, they are such apart of our lives, they are glue that mark out our days and years, so matter cold wet and windy, or how bad we feel, they get us up and out, when it would be easier to stay inside. It must be really tough, and I hope you feel well enough to take on a project to try and fill that hole.
Buy a goat or two, they will drive you to distraction, eat everything they are not supposed to, but they are amusing and less likely to kill themselves than sheep.

Dusty 123

Visit site
Sorry to hear you had to do this. I now how hard it is to have horses when you have medical issues. I have a massive amount of Heath issues myself.

Orangehorse

Visit site
That is a shame, it must feel really odd. Can you still ride?

My sister got to the point where she couldn't really look after her pony any more, it was just too much for her in her 70s, so she sold him, sold the trailer, tack, everything. But she still went riding, tried a few different places and ended up at a riding school that did a 1-2 hour hack out every week, which was perfect. So all she had to do was turn up, get on, go for a ride, pay, go home.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What a tough decision to have had to make, sorry it came to that :(

Pointless1

Visit site
It will be a massive change to your life and routine. Having a horse to care for gives focus and routine as well as physical excercise.
It's difficult at this time of lockdown but if I were you I would find something to do that gives routine to your days. Do you have a dog?
I'm not sure how much your physical problems limit you but some kind of excercise?
I think without the daily routine of having to care for a horse it's easy to just sit at home.
Getting outside in the fresh air will help.

Tarragon

Visit site
Sorry that you had to make this decision. It must make it easier for you to know that your horse's future is secure.
I have always loved having guinea pigs. They chat away to you, are funny and looking after any animal gives you a sense of well being. Mucking out their hutches is like mucking out a miniature stable :)

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
That is a shame, but reassuring to know your horse is in good hands.

If your health allows, you could consider helping your local RDA. Even if you're not up to tacking up or leading, an experienced horsey person can be really useful in all sorts of ways. And you usually meet nice people volunteering.