Endurance/fitness people- Heart rate monitoring?

rara007

Visit site
I have a very specific task I'm training C for (driving but fitness is fitness!). He trots at around 16km/hr naturally (he's 13hh...) but I need him to make 14km/hr average for 7km, rest, then just slightly slower but with exciting hazards for a further 8km. So che's going to have to do approx 3min trotting, 1min canter, repeated 7 times. I was thinking of using a heart rate monitor to check that's not too exhausting for him and we're not heading into the detrimental zone (he's super chilled and laid back verging on lazy by nature)- so my question is what's a good 'working' heart rate? His resting is around 42, comes back from galloping 100m at around 80 and at his first trials came into the middle rest at 60 dropping to 50 after 5min recovery time.

TIA!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No experience of ponies whatsoever, but I've always gone with 130 to 150 being the aerobic threshold, and 160+ the anaerobic. When doing work between trot and canter I generally used to try to get around 140-150 and then have that drop down to around 100 within 3 minutes of walking again. That was my benchmark for hunting/general midrange competition fit.

Not sure if that answers your question, but hopefully of some help. It sounds like pony working heat rate is a bit lower

rara007

Visit site
On my pony is just conning me into taking it easy! Thanks :) My previous ponies have all made the time that much easier as well as being more forwards going so I've only ever had the heart rates at the rest sections and never felt the need to monitor whilst going along. That'll give me an idea to start with :D

Leo Walker

Visit site
This is going to make me sound a bit thick but whats new :lol: How did you work out his speed per km? I'm going to have to do with with Leo to get a base line but have no idea where to start!

alibali

Visit site
This is going to make me sound a bit thick but whats new :lol: How did you work out his speed per km? I'm going to have to do with with Leo to get a base line but have no idea where to start!

GPS watch or if you've a smart phone you can get an app on that, Endomondo is popular but plenty others out there. Alternatively you can do it the old fashioned way and measure a set distance and time the horse over it in various paces. The longer the distance the more accurate this method will be.

rara007

Visit site
She's got it ^ :) I know my local route distances, so can work it from that, but also have 'map my run'.