Endurance people help needed.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a horse who I am thinking of trying endurance with this summer.
It's something I know nothing about .
How do I get started ?
And can anyone recommend a good book to give me an overview of what's involved .
All help gratefully recieved.

Sprig

Visit site
Have a look on the Endurance GB website. There is loads of helpful info on there. Also there will be a local group which you can join. This is a great time of year to strart thinking about it as there may well be shorter training rides in your area before the season proper starts.
I found endurance to be the friendliest horse sport ever. I frequently would go on my own and anyone I ever asked was more than happy to help in any way they could.
There is no need for any special kit or probably even a change in your routine to get started. The great thing is that you can use the rides as part of your training and then move up the levels as you are ready.
For your first rides if you want a buddy to ride with just ask the organiser and they are very likely to be able to help. If not you can often buddy up with somebody on the day.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thanks sprig can I ask do you need to be very good at map reading, how does the finding where to go thing work, I am not great at map reading .

Sprig

Visit site
You are given a printed map with the route coloured in on the map to follow. You will need a clear map case that goes over your shoulder like a handbag to put this in. You also get written route instructions. In addition to this there will be coloured ribbon or chalk arrows wherever you need to change direction or turn off your route. To that end you do not need to be a brilliant map reader, however route markings can get lost/moved so you can't always rely on them. It would help to either practice a bit firts (prob not on horse to start with) and maybe buddy up to start with so your buddy can talk you through how they are navigating without you having to worry about getting lost. Many people just follow the person in front if they are not sure but this often ends up with everyone going the wrong way!

Happytohack

Visit site
Best place to start is www.endurancegb.co.uk and then find your local group. They will run pleasure rides as well as competitive rides. Pleasure rides are between 10 & 20 miles long and are quite low key and very friendly. As for map reading - don't worry! The route is marked - usually in spray chalk arrows on the ground Lots of riders don't even look at their maps! You'll have lots of fun!

dianeholmes

Visit site
I think the thing to do is locate your local group from the EGB website and make contact with them. Choose a pleasure ride and if you enjoy it then start to think about next stages. All the advice above is good and it is a very friendly sport.

There are a few good books if you get the bug (health warning endurance riding can be very addictive!!) I like "Go the Distance" by Nancy Loving but I see from Amazon it is now out of print and has rocketed in price!! The best thing is to talk to people on the day - you could really endear yourself by tracking down a ride organiser from the ride schedules on your local group site and offer to help - you would be received with wide open arms and it gives you a great insight into how it all works.

dilbert

Visit site
Sport endurance website too. If you're on Facebook both EGB and SE have groups that are very friendly.

I've done four pleasure rides with my cob cross and we've loved them all :)

Oberon

Visit site
I have a horse who I am thinking of trying endurance with this summer.
It's something I know nothing about .
How do I get started ?
And can anyone recommend a good book to give me an overview of what's involved .
All help gratefully recieved.

This is a great book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Endurance-S...6484/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360693319&sr=8-3

Find your local group on Endurance GB and/or Sport Endurance
http://www.sportendurance.co.uk/

and see what pleasure/charity ride you want to start off with.

They are 32k and under and you can go at your own speed with no crew.

As long as your horse is fit enough to do 3 - 5 hours in the saddle then he will be fine for 32k.

After you've done a few pleasure rides, you go up to 32k novice rides, then up the distance novice, then 32k faster rides (non novice) and then longer and faster etc until you reach the limit of what you and the horse want to do.

Of course, as you go up the ranks you MUST get the matchy matchy equipment :D

Enjoy.......:D
http://www.performance-equestrian.com/

Non competitive are Equine Ramblers
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Equine-Ramblers-UK/205312942856806?fref=ts

zaminda

Visit site
My map reading is very limited, the talk rounds are great, I laminate them along with the map before putting them in the carry case, as I find when it really rains, they get a bit soggy other wise and you end up with no map on the second loop.
We didn't do much different training with our horses before starting, we were racing them before, and simply lengthened the rides a bit.
Depending on the part of the country you ride round, some of the gates can be challenging, so it helps to practise, thankfully mine is great, the OH horses however, are only moderate!

Oberon

Visit site
I can't read a map at all :eek:.

At lower levels it isn't an issue as you have a talk round (like AA route planner) and you can follow the markers.

But if you want to learn, doing Le Trec teaches you to read a map I believe.

Oberon

Visit site
The marvellous I love matchy matchy I had not appreciated that endurance was a matchy matchy friendly sport .

Are you kidding me? :p

Podium saddles
http://www.sellepodium.com/

Setzi saddles
http://www.facebook.com/antonio.sardosetzisaddles?fref=ts

Matchy matchy plastic bridles, breastplate, bottle holder and saddle bag......

Matchy matchy clothing, hat, gloves, half chaps and map case for the rider.......

And don't forget the fluffy numnah, girth cover, breastplate cover and noseband cover......

It's whole new world!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Thanks sprig can I ask do you need to be very good at map reading, how does the finding where to go thing work, I am not great at map reading .

Mmmm, I don't think you do???? Think the route is mainly indicated, not like TREC where you have to find your way around (or not, as the case is).

I'd second the suggestion on here to have a look at the Endurance GB website: they do have training/pleasure rides all over the place - and IME are a really super friendly bunch who'd welcome you with open arms and help you all they can.

They could also advise you about any tack/equipment you might need; but personally I woudln't go spending a fortune initially.

Flame_

Visit site
Just find out your local EGB group and surrounding groups (there's a map on the EGB website), pick a pleasure ride, enter and go.

The group organized PRs tend to be quieter than the EGB national PRs run alongside competitions, if you want to start with a low-key one with less people whizzing past, they're cheaper too.

The ride organizers are, IME, always very helpful if you phone to ask about routes when choosing a ride or anything.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Let's hope my leg will take it.
Horse is BF but coping with hunting ATM so the shorter rides should be no issue.
Hes a muppet with a lot of energy and needs work he's a brave and bold hack so I am hoping this might focus his mind on something because I don't want him vegging all summer
He not an endurance type though 17 hh KWPN but hes really a ASB started life as a carriage horse .

Oberon

Visit site
Let's hope my leg will take it.
Horse is BF but coping with hunting ATM so the shorter rides should be no issue.
Hes a muppet with a lot of energy and needs work he's a brave and bold hack so I am hoping this might focus his mind on something because I don't want him vegging all summer
He not an endurance type though 17 hh KWPN but hes really a ASB started life as a carriage horse .

As a five year old The Tank did 280 miles barefoot in his first season.

This was his first competitive ride. He was barely fit after chipping a bone off his knee and having a month off. We weren't really trying but he still came 4th :)

indibw1.jpg

For the heavier types doing competitive rides - chose slower terrain rides (hills and grass rather than flat beaches) and be cautious of hot weather. Their heavier muscle mass means they don't cool down as easy as the leaner muscled horses like Arabs etc.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
You've had lots of good advice so far, all I can add is GO FOR IT!

It's a lot easier than people think, and you'll find it is a lot more casual (at the lower levels) than other disciplines.

Goldenstar

Visit site
As a five year old The Tank did 280 miles barefoot in his first season.

This was his first competitive ride. He was barely fit after chipping a bone off his knee and having a month off. We weren't really trying but he still came 4th :)

indibw1.jpg

For the heavier types doing competitive rides - chose slower terrain rides (hills and grass rather than flat beaches) and be cautious of hot weather. Their heavier muscle mass means they don't cool down as easy as the leaner muscled horses like Arabs etc.

Mines not heavy think 17hh hackney with a bit of WB white socks white face ( very flashy no maintaining a low profile on him)
He's got very lean muscles he's an odd looking horse.
I love your big boy great colour.

Oberon

Visit site
Mines not heavy think 17hh hackney with a bit of WB white socks white face ( very flashy no maintaining a low profile on him)
He's got very lean muscles he's an odd looking horse.
I love your big boy great colour.

Ah well, he sounds perfect for the job!

Sprig

Visit site
Mine was useless at everything but found his niche in endurance. It often suits those horses who don't have the patience/temperament for other things.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well at least there's hope !
Out of interest are there many horses doing endurance BF.

Thanks very much everyone for all the help and encouragement so far.

JennyNZ

Visit site
Well at least there's hope !
Out of interest are there many horses doing endurance BF.

Thanks very much everyone for all the help and encouragement so far.

I do - have done 160 km 3* with him <====. Am on the other side of the world though, so things are a little different here. Like no maps - our tracks are fully marked.

However the fun, friendly and addiction factor is definately the same world wide :)