Energy without the weight gain?

TequilaMist

Visit site
We have a warmblood mare who is a really good doer.She is kept in to keep her off the summer grass,soaked haylage and currently spiller lite balancer and cool fibre.Daughter rides for 45/1hr a day (canter work etc).Daughter recently took her to a 80 and 90 course.Mare was looking a bit tired after one round of the 80
I feel she's lacking something but as puts weight on at drop of a hat just what can I give her??
Any suggestions greatly appriciated..

Nicnac

Visit site
Keep her out in a starvation paddock - she'll burn off more calories looking for snippets of grass rather than standing in her stable all day with food coming to her and ride her harder to increase her fitness.

Wheels

Visit site
Tired after 1 sj round? I'd say she needs to go on a proper fitness programme, you may find then she's not as good a doer as you thought and then you can feed according to that

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My horses are both ridden for the same amount of time as yours, or a bit longer and live out at night - I consider mine to be only in light work! The horse needs to be fitter to cope with the work.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Starvation paddock not an option. There isn't one. Reason keep her in is 8 horses on 10 acre field. Did try muzzles but she literally starts to try to jump on your head and am not going through that every time.
She was in a smaller field with barely any grass at old yard and still put on weight .It was even suggested test for EMS but other than weight issue offer no other probs.And good part of weight is now off and happy with weight now for going into winter but I think she just needs something a bit more.At home she will manage a hr lesson jumping 1 mtr plus and she doesn't seem as tired then
TBH shes ridden more(not just plodded around) than some of the horses that are going eventing or jumping 1 mtre + courses but agree could try get daughter to do with more riding work to see if helps and look into other fittening programmes .
Thanks for replies they are helpful

Last edited:

Turks

Visit site
Hi TequilaMist,

I'm interested to hear how it goes. Sister's horse sounds the same. Gave up with the muzzle too! I'd appreciate it if you'd let us know and hope it goes well for you.