engagement

Peanot

Visit site
Does anyone have any ideas on exercises or schooling aids to get a horse to work more from behind. We are having weekly lessons but I think that I need more input on this to help us along.
Thanks

Malibu

Visit site
well my trainer has me lenghting down the long side and shortening on the short side, alot of work on the circle, doing same sort of idea, some lateral work may help, not the bst person to help just from what i do at t. sessions!

vic07

Visit site
lots and lots of transitions, half halts, leg yields, turns on quarters etc.......... Get horse more in front of the leg and then reduce speed of pace so its slower with same amount of impulsion, horse will then naturally be working harder from behind.

machannah

Visit site
Good exercise I find is shoulder in on a 20m circle, hard work for the horse and then if you can manage it try travers on the circle too.

Worked really well on my mare and really got her to push through from behind.

DressageChick

Visit site
boring but transitions, transitions and more transitions- from different paces and within a pace- lots of them.

Shoulder in is also good providing it is done correctly- leg yield doesn't engage it supples.

pocket

Visit site
This is something my instructor is working on with Ralph and I. We are doing plenty of leg yelding in and out of a circle with shoulder in on the circle with flexion to the outside, then gradually bringing the forehand inwards, maintaining an outside contact and leg to engage the hind quarters. Did this on my lesson this morning and the elevation was fantastic.

Also work between sitting and rising trot, its working well and helps that I have two lessons a week and a fantastic new instructor who himself rides PSG and rides for me when I'm on night duty
wink.gif

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
shoulder in on the circle with flexion to the outside, then gradually bringing the forehand inwards, maintaining an outside contact and leg to engage the hind quarters.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

with shoulder in, wouldn`t the forehand be inwards anyway?
I am a little tick sometimes, could you please explain this in more detail? We do some shoulder in every schooling session, so hopefully we will crack it soon but it isn`t coming quick enough. thanks