English and Western

bumper

Visit site
Does anyone ride both with the same horse?
My gut feeling is that my boy can manage this. He was backed gently before I got him rising 4, using a Western saddle and Western cues for groundwork etc. When I got him I rode in an English saddle, but found him jigsaw-like to sort out as he responded to a Western style of aids (which I was unused to, never having done it before!). I'm now riding him in a Western saddle, with a Western instructor. He's very green, after having virtually nothing done with him from last summer til this spring (aggressive peri-ocular sarcoid, treatment for months, very out of sorts...and my less than good health at the time).
Is it possible to ride English with one saddle ..and Western with another? Or am I just going to confuse the bejaysus out of the poor lad!?

Abz88

Visit site
I ride in both with my girl, but she is very very voice commandable, so I tend to use my voice for my main aid, so she is happy with both. She was very confused by sitting trot and couldnt work out why we wernt cantering yet!! But, with encouragment, she understands. If your horse is the kind that wants to learn and wants to please, then yes, I say go for it. Gentle and slow and very forgiving and you'll both get there :0) I tend to use the western hacking and the english in the school.
Enjoy :D

Imogen Rose

Visit site
I think its perfectly possible and have done it- the key is not mixing up the aids or your horse will get in a muddle.
The goal is the same in both disciplines, you want a soft horse who listens and tries.

bumper

Visit site
I ride in both with my girl, but she is very very voice commandable, so I tend to use my voice for my main aid, so she is happy with both. She was very confused by sitting trot and couldnt work out why we wernt cantering yet!! But, with encouragment, she understands. If your horse is the kind that wants to learn and wants to please, then yes, I say go for it. Gentle and slow and very forgiving and you'll both get there :0) I tend to use the western hacking and the english in the school.
Enjoy :D

Thanks...he responds very nicely to voice commands too, and is a bright boy (sometimes a bit too clever! Think Houdini).

The question has arisen as the Western saddle that came with him no longer fits. He's filled out you see, as they do....and I've given up on selling the lovely Barsby GP I sent to the saddler's to sell, as I thought it's never fit him...cos it's not sold (been there for an embarrassingly long time!)....but I reckon it'd fit him now.

bumper

Visit site
I think its perfectly possible and have done it- the key is not mixing up the aids or your horse will get in a muddle.
The goal is the same in both disciplines, you want a soft horse who listens and tries.

Exactly! I'm going to have to make it quite clear which "one" we are doing. I suppose it's perfectly reasonable to think he may in the end know which we are on....depending on which saddle is on...hopefully.

a kind of magic

Visit site
I do both with my mare! She is more a western horse to be honest, but she does ride english. As long as you are clear I don't find it a problem with her, although putting a very 'english' rider on her she gets a bit confused as she is a very 'light' horse to ride as in she needs very little contact and is great with vocal cues. :)

Abz88

Visit site
My mare is also very light or sensative ride, took me a long time to adjust! Never ridden which a stick, never needed. The only issue I have is breaks! But she listens to your seat weight too, which is handy.
I am also trying to sell a saddle - used a max of 10, tops 15 times and am having no luck. No longer fits my girly. Obviously no market for saddles at the moment! :confused::(

bumper

Visit site
I do both with my mare! She is more a western horse to be honest, but she does ride english. As long as you are clear I don't find it a problem with her, although putting a very 'english' rider on her she gets a bit confused as she is a very 'light' horse to ride as in she needs very little contact and is great with vocal cues. :)
Sounds great! I always had very soft hands. Might work then, thanks :)

bumper

Visit site
My mare is also very light or sensative ride, took me a long time to adjust! Never ridden which a stick, never needed. The only issue I have is breaks! But she listens to your seat weight too, which is handy.
I am also trying to sell a saddle - used a max of 10, tops 15 times and am having no luck. No longer fits my girly. Obviously no market for saddles at the moment! :confused::(
I couldn't imagine riding mine with a stick: I use the reins as a sort of "whip whop" on the shoulders if needed, as in wake up!
Clearly no market for saddles: I have two I need rid of. Brakes I have lots. He's been taught stop so well from first backed that reinback is our fave pace!

JCWHITE

Visit site
My 6 yr old does both, albeit no sliding stops or rein backs at speed, i find it good training for all round disciplines and i like it too!

burtie

Visit site
My competes at Dressage and rides out Western. The only Western type aids I haven't trained him too is rein back as it is actually very different form the English Dressage aids!