'Enjoyment'

Patchwork

Visit site
I was taking part in a discussion the other day that got me thinking - when you compete do you 'enjoy' the act in itself as you ride? For example, do you enjoy riding a dressage test, or do you enjoy leaving the arena knowing it went well, or do you enjoy getting a good mark/positive comments? What about showjumping and cross-country? Do you enjoy the actual cross country ride or do you enjoy the satisfaction of finishing?

When I thought about it I decided that I enjoy the actual process of jumping competitively as I do it but dressage-wise I don't particularly like riding the actual test - I much prefer schooling at home and playing about with changes, lateral work, etc. as I am more likely to get the feeling of a few great steps which is what I love about flatwork. In jumping, on the other hand, the challenge and the fun is in completing the course which has been set out. I would be interested to know what everybody else thought...

RunToEarth

Visit site
I thought about this the other day, when somebody was grumbling warming their horse up. I am in this game to enjoy it, thats why I do it, its my pastime, if I didnt enjoy it I wouldnt be getting up at 5am mid winter to get them mucked out and ridden to keep them fit. I wouldnt spend all my "fun money" on my horses. I enjoy every moment of my rounds, I really do, I hate the "shat I think I have forgotten the course" moments but I never get midway round thinking, god I dont want to be doing this anymore!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
when i was a young teenager i didn't like dressage as i didn't understand how a horse was meant to go correctly and just enjoyed SJ and xc
but now that i am older and had a horse who did ok at dressage i began to enjoy it and now i quite enjoy going out and riding a test. i always try and find something positive about it and can feel my horse improve
SJ i have always enjoyed it even when i had a horse that wasn't very good. when i stop enjoying it will be the day i stop riding which is never!

if i didn't enjoy competing and i wouldn't have mum paying a fortune in entry fees, diesel and lessons

Patchwork

Visit site
... Which is probably why I rarely compete in dressage! Thing is, I'm not a flatwork-hating thrill seeker - I love schooling and seeing how far I can get with a horse whilst improving my own riding (my TB is currently working at medium level at home and starting changes) but I just don't get any fun out of competing. Is it the kind of thing you have to get out and do a bit of before you start to enjoy it?

lizzie_liz

Visit site
i found with dressage the more i did it the more i enjoyed it, yes i would come home dissapointed when i thought i deserved a better mark but then when i read the comments and have a chance to reflect i understand their view point. but i gained more enjoyment affliated when i could get points and feeling rewarded

Patchwork

Visit site
I see how points, good marks, etc. can be rewarding but I guess what I'm getting at is did you enjoy the actual riding of the test at the time as a thing in its own right in the same way that riding round a cross country course is enjoyable in its own right?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont know either. I think its AFTER I come out! Like going XC, Im loving it going round (if its going to plan) but its only after I actually think "wow, I enjoyed that!". SJ , again the same. Dressage, definately only when I come out of the ring but thats relief - I hate dressage!

It was weird though. Did TINY WEENY ODE the other day on one of my babies. It was SO enjoyable! The fences were so small there was just not worry whatsoever. It was THE most relaxing event Ive ever done! Especially as Id set out purely to let my baby have fun with no pressure. He ended up going extremely well and I enjoyed it all, even the dressage!

pottamus

Visit site
It's quite an odd one really because for most people, whilst they do enjoy th actual competition itself the nerves and concentration can get in the way of throughly enjoying it. And when you get to the end and have done well and you and horse are still in one piece that seesm to make it have been even more enjoyable!
I do endurance so I really enjoy the actual competition but always have a bit of nerves and apprehension about getting round in time and not encountering any time consuming problems.

Bossanova

Visit site
Hmm I'm generally too focused in the ring to concentrate on enjoying either the dresage or the sj!! Xc I definitely enjoy (well, if I'm in control and the horse is jumping well anyway) because I know I think about it in the stretches between the fences. Actually round big tracks I come home completely blank so again, maybe the focus thing takes over!!
The bit I really enjoy is finishing knowing you've done as much as you can for the horse's stage of training and ability.

Rambo

Visit site
I get a real buzz when i'm in the ring sj'ing. Yeah, there are some nerves thrown in and a bit of self-imposed pressure, but they just add to the buzz. I also get a real kick when I come out having done well, and I don't mean just by winning....getting a nice controlled round is as important to me as winning
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
Well I definitely enjoy riding a dressage test IF it is going well! It is lovely to feel the horse is forward and soft and doing what you ask! But obviously not so enjoyable if its spooking at everything in sight!

SW3

Visit site
I generally enjoy XC as it happens but I dont think I actively enjoy the other two phases until afterwards (and then only if they have gone relatively well) because I am concentrating (or sometimes worrying / stressing
wink.gif
crazy.gif
!) too much!

I find myself talking to my horse spontaneously out XC, telling him he's a good boy etc and grinning like a fool (fence judges must wonder if i'm drunk as I go past!!
grin.gif
), but during SJ i'm concentrating and / or stressing so much that I'm only really aware of riding the next bit, and dont really seem to have time to enjoy it as it happens! Flatwork is definitely more enjoyable back at home too. More time, not having a test to remember and stick to means I can get better work out of him and thats becoming increasingly satisfying (I used to be terribly flatwork-phobic!)

Interesting question though. I suspect I could ride better SJ and DR if I were able to relax enough to enjoy it at the time...

Peanot

Visit site
This is interesting as sometimes warming up for the sj-ing, I`m nervous and anxious and think to myself, if it affects me like this, should I really be doing it???
Then when I am in the ring and it is going well, I know that I am smiling while going round and I know that I am enjoying it. Afterwards at home, I love watching the video, several times.
blush.gif

With the dressage, I love the flatwork at home where you can do a certain movement a couple of times to get it right and enjoy the feeling but in the ring you only have one chance to get it right, so it is more serious. I enjoy doing the test but I love coming out knowing that I have done my best and I look forward to getting the test sheet. I only do dressage at a local level and so we get placed almost every test, so it is relaxing and we enjoy it.
The x-c bit, I love it as it is happening and most exhilarated when finished. I have only competed in 2 hunter trials with her and loved it as there wasn`t any pressure because it was only 2`3". I have schooled over bigger fences and it is a mixture of enjoying it and apprehensive as she looks at everything and she isn`t consistent and will stop if it looks `iffy`.
The last time out show jumping last week, I was smiling as I went in -as I had a few drops of Rescue Remedy- and I was beaming at the end -as I went double clear twice and won both classes. Will definately take RR next time too.
grin.gif