Entering RC events

Miss L Toe

Visit site
OK, there are a few events coming up very soon, is it the rider or the owner who has to be a member, and what about insurance?
I would ask the club, but first event is this Sunday, I need to try to make arrangements today.

Zebedee

Visit site
OK, there are a few events coming up very soon, is it the rider or the owner who has to be a member, and what about insurance?
I would ask the club, but first event is this Sunday, I need to try to make arrangements today.

The owner doesn't come in the equation at all for RC stuff. It's the rider that has to be a member. The RC insurance is limited to covering members for liability claims made against them at the event. It's not like the insurance you get by being a gold member of the BHS for example.

L&M

Visit site
I would imagine it is who ever pays the membership fee - ie I am a member and am covered by BRC insurance through my membership - if somone else rode my horse I don't think they would be covered.

Don't know if that is much help, but hopefully someone else can give you a definitive answer!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
The owner doesn't come in the equation at all for RC stuff. It's the rider that has to be a member. The RC insurance is limited to covering members for liability claims made against them at the event. It's not like the insurance you get by being a gold member of the BHS for example.
Thanks very much, all I need to do is find a rider, I assume I can sign them up on the day if they are not current members.

Zebedee

Visit site
Thanks very much, all I need to do is find a rider, I assume I can sign them up on the day if they are not current members.

No. They would need to be registered on the club membership list with BRC head office prior to the event. If it's an open event they won't need to be members & the TPL insurance is probably part of the horses insurance.
If this is an area qualifier the person needs to have been at members at the close of preliminary entries, with is 21 days prior to the event.

L&M

Visit site
Not sure about 'signing them up on the day' - it takes 2 weeks for my yearly renewal! You are then given a BRC membership card and number.

Bare in mind if it is a RC affiliated to the BRC, things are not that simple - the red tape is akin to pony club.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Lots of RCs also have cut-off dates for membership - or cut-off numbers, you can't just rock up and join on the day! No committee member will have any of the required paperwork. Our RC only accepts new members between Feb 1st and July 31st. Outside of that you just cannot join.

Suggest you contact the RC to find out what you need to know....

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Funnily enough on the schedule it does not mention that only members of the RC are eligible to enter, [eg there are "waggiest tail" classes for dogs], but it is legit as there are also RoR and BSPS Brightstars which are open to non members [ of BSPS]I assume.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Just check - our RC wouldn't let K ride on teams unless I was a member as well as I was the registered owner - might be worth checking although then that could have been a money making scheme on their part!

Zebedee

Visit site
Just check - our RC wouldn't let K ride on teams unless I was a member as well as I was the registered owner - might be worth checking although then that could have been a money making scheme on their part!

The bit about the owner having to be a member of a horse entered for an official competition (area or champs) disappeared from the rulebook five or six years ago. It may be that those in post of the RC committee have been there for some while, & simply didn't realise that it had gone !

L&M

Visit site
If the first event is not until sun, why not just call, assuming there is a contact tel no on the schedule/website?

Hope all goes well x

MagicMelon

Visit site
Lots of RCs also have cut-off dates for membership - or cut-off numbers, you can't just rock up and join on the day! No committee member will have any of the required paperwork. Our RC only accepts new members between Feb 1st and July 31st. Outside of that you just cannot join.

Suggest you contact the RC to find out what you need to know....

I've never heard of any RC's having cut off dates or numbers for membership. I guess it depends how popular your area is.