Entry Dilema

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Where I train/my intsructor's yard/facility is hosting a hunter trial tomorrow. I am taking Roo for her first go at getting round XC.

Over the last month we have been introducing this mildly neurotic SJer to XC and she has rather taken to it like a duck to water..the conundrum, about two weeks ago my instructor advised I take her round the smallest class (2'0-2'3) and I have also entered the pairs 2'6 with a friend ona very experienced hunter/XC machine to give her a really nice round and to have some fun (instructor also advised as ok).

However, since then Roo has literally come on leaaps and bounds and has confidently been jumping (schooling) all of the 2'6 and a couple of the 2'9 course, as well as being very grown up and acting as lead for the naughty/less confident.

Although I understand it is best to take it slowly, going around the poxy 2'0-2'3 when schooling wise she is exceeding all expectations (plus regularly SJing 1m plus) feels a bit futile/pointless....so thinking I might transfer my entry to the second class (2'6).

Am I gettng ahead of myself? i mean I suppose she's likely to react differently in a competition environment, but at the same time I fear I won't feel like we've achieved anything going clear around a course we 100% should go clear round... it feels a bit cold I guess.

2 weeks ago I was chuffed with her popping her first solid fence..since then she has amazed me with her boldness over ditches, steps, brush through fences etc.

Thoughts??

LRR

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
if she was mine i'd stay at the low level and have her first run be a very simple easy one to get her confidence up. I'd use it as a training run to see how she reacts in a competitive environment - they can often surprise you by getting scared at loudspeakers or people at jumps etc. The waiting round in the horseboxs can upset some, as can busy warmups. for the first time I like to see how the horse handles the day without stressing them out with the jumps on top of it, . It's not the height of the jumps i'd pay attention to, there's more information to be gained by seeing how she reacts to warm ups, if horses are finishing and running back near the starting line, how she copes with the type of ground, raised adrenalin. schooling is a whole different ballgame as you have time to scope out and approach fences, at hunter trials its much easier for them to slip out the side of a skinny if you aren't on the ball.

I'd always take a horse round a tiny course for its first hunter trial. Gives them confidence and gives you a chance to get a lot more information about them without worrying about heights.

Last edited:

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
if she was mine i'd stay at the low level and have her first run be a very simple easy one to get her confidence up. I'd use it as a training run to see how she reacts in a competitive environment - they can often surprise you by getting scared at loudspeakers or people at jumps etc. The waiting round in the horseboxs can upset some, as can busy warmups. for the first time I like to see how the horse handles the day without stressing them out with the jumps on top of it, . It's not the height of the jumps i'd pay attention to, there's more information to be gained by seeing how she reacts to warm ups, if horses are finishing and running back near the starting line, how she copes with the type of ground, raised adrenalin. schooling is a whole different ballgame as you have time to scope out and approach fences, at hunter trials its much easier for them to slip out the side of a skinny if you aren't on the ball.

I'd always take a horse round a tiny course for its first hunter trial. Gives them confidence and gives you a chance to get a lot more information about them without worrying about heights.

I know it really, but it is so easyto get excited and carried away when the start really knuckling down. :)

Its a pretty traditional style/starightforward course, but like you stay best to stick small and build confidence. :)

paddi22

Visit site
it always pays to start slow at the start, builds a much stronger foundation. You have tons of time to move up and challenge yourself, and the horse sounds like a gem! But for the first few the horse is getting to know YOU as well, and its so easy to lose trust if they get a bad knock or a scare. Its so much for them to take in and such a change from sj-ing that i'd keep it small and let her think she's amazing and its easy!

JustKickOn

Visit site
I would stick to the smaller class for the individual, you'll do the 2'6 in your pair anyway. If she goes well, you can go up a height for your next comp :)