Epsom Derby....Fireworks

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I couldn’t believe anyone could be so stupid ..wonder how much it upset the horses, the derby is exciting enough for them without fireworks

And now, when we protest about fireworks near livestock/horses, the general public will say 'It's fine, Epsom racecourse let fireworks off around horses':eek:. Idiots!

catkin

Visit site
And now, when we protest about fireworks near livestock/horses, the general public will say 'It's fine, Epsom racecourse let fireworks off around horses':eek:. Idiots!

Exactly this.

And the runners certainly noticed. I'd be beyond furious if I'd got a horse in a the race. Maybe the racecourse will get sued.

Last edited:

reynold

Visit site
For those who haven't been to Epsom the Grandstand is sandwiched between the course and a B road with a 40mph speed limit. Not only are all the points made above very valid but the volume of smoke suddenly appearing on the road could have caused an accident as it was very thick from the pictures on TV.

Totally irresponsible in so many ways. Sack the idiot that thought it was a good idea.

Fieldlife

Visit site
For those who haven't been to Epsom the Grandstand is sandwiched between the course and a B road with a 40mph speed limit. Not only are all the points made above very valid but the volume of smoke suddenly appearing on the road could have caused an accident as it was very thick from the pictures on TV.

Totally irresponsible in so many ways. Sack the idiot that thought it was a good idea.

The road you mentioned was shut from 1pm yesterday.

Visit site
Apparently the smoke blew down over the runners gathered at the start. I don't think they will be doing that again! Though it's not a Jubilee year like this every year.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I assumed it was either a protest or someone in the crowd behaving like an idiot!! Was it definitely an organised thing?
Yes. It was idiocy personified with horses about to run :mad:. What fecking numbskull signed that off as a good idea? Her Majesty would certainly have had something to say about it had she been there.

0A6DBEE3-7DF7-44A7-8161-13B05EAD4974.jpeg

Northern Hare

Visit site
Did anyone notice at the pageant yesterday that the TV screens were showing a message that screen coverage would resume when all the horses were safely past? At least some organisers have got a brain.

Yes I agree, it was very sensible. We were on Trafalgar Square watching the parade coming towards us up Whitehall, and they switched off the livestream on the massive screen behind us just before the Pageant started, which I though was an excellent idea.

They had also taken great care with laying the sand-mix surface around the corner at the top of Whitehall just where it met Trafalgar Square and before going under Admiralty Arch. It's actually on quite an uphill slope, so it could have caused problems for the Gold Coronation Coach if the horses had had trouble keeping their footing - and of course for the Cavalry horses. ?????

Birker2020

Visit site
The hotel next door to the local riding club used to let off fireworks whenever there was a wedding at their hotel for the evening guests.

The horses would be not more than 1000 yards away in temporary stables. Not good. :(

humblepie

Visit site
Pretty sure they always hold huge fireworks at Mayden racecourse in Dubai all the time during their race meetings. No idea how the horses cope with it. Awful.
I think the stables are under cover and away and they have a big gap between races to allow for it.