Epulis - advice/experiences please

misst

Visit site
My 12yo JRT has a lump on her rt upper jaw near her incisor. It was biopsied and the result shows an epulis. This is much better news than melanoma or other metastasising tumours. However I understand it arising from the periodontal ligament deep in the socket of the tooth and invades locally. It was cut away at biopsy but has returned and is growing rapidly. It has moved her top teeth sideways and forwards.
The dog is eating drinking swallowing and playing tug of war and bitey face with my other dog happily. She can eat a chicken foot very happily. She is very well in herself. However the rapid growth has concerned my vet and she has referred us to Fitzpatricks in Guildford (oncology not orthopaedics). I am happy to have her scanned etc and it sounds as if they can remove it without too much invasive surgery.
I am just concerned I suppose that I will be subjecting her to surgery at this age. My vet, however, thinks at present she will make old bones as she is very fit - walks an hour and half a day and full of life and character. It certainly is going to be causing problems within a few months I think.
If anyone has any experiences or information on successes or failures of treatment please would they let me know.
Thanks everyone.