EQL Course

Earth2

New User
Visit site
I am in my mid 30’s and want to fulfil a lifelong dream of learning to ride horses and work with them. I am an inexperienced rider. I have always loved horses but just never had the money for riding lessons ( I had a few lessons a few years ago but could not continue).

There is a big estate by me which is also a college which has stables. They offer EQL Level 2 and provide adult funding. It would be 3 days per week for one year at which stage if I pass I can then do EQL Level 3. These courses also include one free riding lesson per week which is something I would love. Whilst I would love to do this as a hobby I do not have the funds to quit work unless there is opportunity at the end of it.
My question is do you think when I pass my EQL 3 I would find employment in this industry easy?
I would love to do the course but I have to be realistic also. Are these certificates sough after or is there another course you would recommend?

Shay

Visit site
EQL Level 3 is the equivalent of the old BHS Stage 3. With the new exams it is now slightly below the current Level 3. In equivalency terms - worth about one A level at Grade D or C. (The level 2 is lower and there is no equivalency. Its about 1 GCSE.)

It won't lead to a job. But it could possibly lead to better qualifications which might. You say they provide adult funding? If the course is free to you then you may as well try it. But don't pay for it expecting it to get you anywhere. To work in the industry you may be able to get an apprenticeship with BHS level 3; but you'd do better with level 4 or 5.

RachaelJC

Visit site
I would probably take a couple of weeks annual leave from work and go to somewhere like Talland or Summerhouse for a short term work placement. You'll get so much exposure to different horses and get to watch lessons and have your own lessons. Then, if you find that the reality is how you imagined (keep in mind that it may be very different!), I'd do BHS exams and access funding for those if you can.