Equest Pramox

SusieJane

Visit site
Thinking of using this in the spring.

Anyone heard anything on it good/bad.

Obviously a new product, and contains moxidectin the active ingredient of Equest and praziquantel for the control of tapeworm.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
My vet raves about Pramox. She doesnt have much to say about Panacure Guard. I am due to do mine with Pramox shortly. The vet had encountered a few colics after worming with this and suggested that because it clears them out totally, the colics may have been due to encisted worm burden and suggested that I worm for tapes a few weeks before using the Pramox, just in case. This worries me a little as I have a few rescues here and im unsure of their burdens. I spoke to Star about this and she agreed fully with what my vet said. Perhaps you could PM her for her opinion. Also, Spaniel is pretty knowledgeable (not sure if she's a vet or not).

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
IMO, to worm for tapes a few weeks before using Pramox is pretty poiontless. The whole reason it is good because it is a single dose for everything.
Ive used Pramox on horses with a clean worm count, and it does affect them a bit. They tend to get the runs for a few days.
Personally I never use Equest without a worm count (if I dont know the history). If they have a high count then I will always give 3 days of Panacur Guard to shift some of the burden, then I follow up with the required dose of Equest.

vickers22

Visit site
this may sound ignorant, but do you use pramox once a year?and how does it fit in with the equest cycle?(ie what other wormer do you give throughout the year how many times)also, can it harm your horse if you overdose wormer?(not that i intend to of course!i am just curious!!)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Went to a talk on it the other day at my vets who now recommend it. Promax should be used in Spring and Autumn and Equest summer and winter. There is no need to change wormers you can just keep this program up.

Interesting thing is that these worm counts done from the poo are 100% acurate as cerytain may lie dormant ahnd not show up. The only way to check for these is by blood testing.

Anyway sounds a great product simple to remember what to use when and certainly the two main vets in our area both recommend the Equest / Promax program.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
this may sound ignorant, but do you use pramox once a year?and how does it fit in with the equest cycle?(ie what other wormer do you give throughout the year how many times)also, can it harm your horse if you overdose wormer?(not that i intend to of course!i am just curious!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a 13 week wormer so the idea is use Pramox in spring, 13 weeks later use Equest, 13 weeks later (autumn) Pramox again and 13 weeks later Equest. Means only 4 wormings per year.

We'll be doing ours this way, currently alternate Equest and Equimax, but hoping Equest will do a year pack to save some pennies!!!

Ours shouldn't have any burden, just the 3 together and no other beasts and have been regularly done, but I'll have my trusty coligone on standby!

Louby

Visit site
Im doing Pramox tomorrow along with the rest of the yard. Ours are worm counted and all came back nil counts but havent been blood tested for tapeworm hence the pramox. I remembered reading something about colics and Equest ages ago but its normally due to high worm burdens isnt it??
I hope ours are ok, cant help but worry a bit.

Kezza

Visit site
We used it last time we wormed (13 weeks ago) horses were fine, 2 of them are in their 20's, no upset tummies.