Equest Question

Esme2015

Visit site
Hi there, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. My two horses were wormed with Equest Pramox in February as I was told that what was they needed by my former YO. I'm just coming up to worming again and have read that really they should have had the Pramox this time. Does anyone know if it's ok to give them the Pramox twice in a row? Thanks!

nato

Visit site
Hi there, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. My two horses were wormed with Equest Pramox in February as I was told that what was they needed by my former YO. I'm just coming up to worming again and have read that really they should have had the Pramox this time. Does anyone know if it's ok to give them the Pramox twice in a row? Thanks!

I usually rotate them as horses can develop a resistance to them. I do Equest/Equest Pramox every second time.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
You only need Equest Pramox twice a year - Spring & Autumn - to get tapeworms as well as the rest. IF tapeworm is considered a serious problem (unlikely if Pramox isused twice a year) then there are cheaper - and just as effective) wormers for tapeworm on its own.

Esme2015

Visit site
You only need Equest Pramox twice a year - Spring & Autumn - to get tapeworms as well as the rest. IF tapeworm is considered a serious problem (unlikely if Pramox isused twice a year) then there are cheaper - and just as effective) wormers for tapeworm on its own.

Hi there, the problem I have Is that I've already given the horses Pramox in Feb and I guess now would be considered Spring. Do you think Equest would be fine then even tho it's the wrong part of the year?

paddy555

Visit site
Hi there, the problem I have Is that I've already given the horses Pramox in Feb and I guess now would be considered Spring. Do you think Equest would be fine then even tho it's the wrong part of the year?

rather than the time of the year I would be wondering which worms you are actually worming for? If you do a count now you will know if you need the moxidectin part of pramox (or ivermectin) If you do the equi sal test you will know if you need to do tapeworm and could use equitape. If both come back with good results you may even not need to do anything which would save subjecting your horse to a very strong chemical wormer (pramox) and would also help the resistance problem. The westgate site will tell you how to test.

Esme2015

Visit site
rather than the time of the year I would be wondering which worms you are actually worming for? If you do a count now you will know if you need the moxidectin part of pramox (or ivermectin) If you do the equi sal test you will know if you need to do tapeworm and could use equitape. If both come back with good results you may even not need to do anything which would save subjecting your horse to a very strong chemical wormer (pramox) and would also help the resistance problem. The westgate site will tell you how to test.

Thanks, that's great. I'll do that.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

I'm a mean cow. You've done the tapeworm/encysted with the Pramox so you don't need to spend big on Equest. I use Eraquell for the next worming - half the price!

Borderreiver

Visit site
You have wormed for encysted worms and tapeworm using Pramox, all fine. From now till next winter you should worm count and only dose again if the horse actually needs it. Rotating drugs, using them at regular intervals is out of date advice which is leading to more and more worm resistance. Even the folk who manufacture these products no longer recommend continuous dosing.