equestrian finger syndrome

muffy32

Visit site
every winter I get a patch of thickened, cracked ( but not sore) skin along the outside edge of my index fingers, it gets ingrained with mud that is impossible to get out and looks awful. I put vasaline on my hands a few times a day and I also use hand creams but to no avail.
Does anyone else suffer with equestrian finger syndrome?
Any ideas how to get rid of it?

starsky

Visit site
Yes me. Have started applying umpteen layers of hand cream now to combat it early! Soaking my hands for hours in water and then scrubbing with a nail brush. It's the only way
wink.gif

ExRacers

Visit site
Ah the perils of equines in the winter!!! I get the same on my fingers & find that scrubbing with a good pumice stone or equivalent every few days followed by a good hand cream does the job lovely!!! Try it!

filly190

Visit site
Yes, I get the mucking out hand grubby look. I tend to get the foot file to my skin and rub it off. I have worn rubber gloves one winter, my hands stayed lovely and warm and my hands stayed clean.

It gets engrained in your skin and the only way is to scrub it off.

spannahw

Visit site
Love it! 'Equestrian Finger Syndrome'!!!

Have discussed this with many horsey friends over the years but we'd never given the condition a name!

Its a real sign of winter when that bit of skin starts getting engrained - I've tried rubbing lemon peel on it but that's not worked either. Am gonna give some of these suggestions a go though!

barkinghorse

Visit site
Before you go to bed, put on a good greasy handcream and then put surgical gloves on.
In the morning, wash it off and hey presto!! nice soft hands and ingrained muck free!!
OH was a bit worried the first time i got in bed like that, but he's not scared anymore...!!!
blush.gif

Jo xxx

sorona

Visit site
The stuff used on cracked heels is good fir getting rid of the cracked skin and lathering your hands in hand cream and wearing cotton gloves works and perhaps not as scary as surgical ones, lol!!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I get this too! Drives me mad in the winter when I'm trying to look like a very manicure Sales Lady Type!

I was told that lemon juice worked quite well...not sure it would do much for the cracked skin though.

I find it absoultely impossible to get the dirt out of the sides of my finger nails. Perhaps I should just try and remember to wear gloves
wink.gif

burtie

Visit site
Yep get it every year, I use my moisterising cream (aqueous cream) as soap and find if I use enough it really helps, also try to wear gloves as much as possible.

Love the fact it now has an official name!!

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
ah yes, I remember it well! I make up a scrub of sugar and liquid soap (1 teaspoon sugar and a squirt of soap/washing up liquid) rub that into your dry hands, add a little water and lather up, and wash your hands vigorously for several seconds, then rinse off. When your hands are dry rub in hand cream and put a pair of rubber gloves on (the washing up type) and steep your gloved hands in hot water for 5 minutes - or you can just do the washing up!

works for me.