Equi-Chaps Turnout Boots (and thoughts on boots for T/O)

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Does anyone use the Equilibrium turnout wraps? I know they do two different styles... the ones designed for mudfever and the ones for more general protection.

My horse is always nicking his own legs and it's driving me mad. They're mainly superficial cuts but he's always got "bits" missing out of him in various areas of his lower leg. He's got a very active hind leg movement and tends to over reach slightly (also had a few speedy cuts which bother me somewhat). He's also a real monster in the field and forgets his age and constantly bangs his own legs :p

Up until today, he's been out on his own for a while, but he's now back out with two ponies... which means he's running around even more.

I dont generally like turning out with boots on and nor does the YO but he's always hurting himself!

Does anyone else use these? And if so how have they been? What are peoples thoughts on this... should i just ignore the cuts and bangs and put them down to horses being horses or try and give him a bit of protection?

Quarrybank

Visit site
I use equichaps on my 4yo. He has white legs, so is prone to mudfever, but I use them mainly because he is still very gangly & kept knocking into himself. Since using them he has been fine. He's turned out during the day & stabled at night & wears then on all four legs whenever he's turned out. They don't rub & they breath, so much better than putting brushing boots on.

Taurus

Visit site
Absolutely echo Quarrybank - have heard some people say that they slip or rub but they never have when we've used them, fir them right and you'll wonder how you ever got through winter without them!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Think im going to indulge in a pair. I always grew up being told not to turnout in boots but Im just worried that its only going to take one decent bash of his front tendons by his hind legs to cause me some major problems.

Good to hear they arent slipping too!

Quarrybank

Visit site
I got mine off ebay. Def worth looking on there. I picked up a new pair for £30 & a second hand pair (although you wouldn't have known it) for £29. They were last years style, so black rather than blue but do the job.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Id actually prefer black to blue
wink.gif
Thanks! I shall go take a nosey and see what i can find

Sparklet

Visit site
The three horses at our yard that wear them have all ended up with mud fever - I'm not keen to be honest. They hold moisture against the skin in a warm environment which is an ideal place for bacteria to grow.

Maybe the trick is to have two sets and wash and dry the set not in use.

miller

Visit site
Don;t like equichaps as every horse I've known use them gets mud/wet up underneath and gets mudfever.

I turn my lad out in standard cheapo brushing boots as he knocks himself when playing and have never had a problem - has worn them turned out for last 8 years (not the same set obviously!)

dressagecrazy

Visit site
I did use Equichaps, until my horse Successfully shreaded them. The only thing that can happen i noticed was they do turn up if used in a field that has a heavy clay content. I think they even state this on the packaging. But it does happen, so in the height of winter when i need them the most there almost useless as my field have a clay content and the Equichaps just turn up and let the mud get in. Other than that i loved mine!!

princesskelly

Visit site
equichaps cost me a £300 vets bill last winter. always been able to keep mud fever under controll but chaps just made it worse.no signs of mud fever yet but have started using barrirer cream just in case. i do like sportabac (sp) boots though so will look in to them at some point. but untill then i'm sticking with cream.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Hmm. See this is what Im worried about. My boy doesnt seem prone to mud fever (well we went through last winter without it) and obviously, the last thing in the world I want is to trigger it off!

Im so confused :/ I dont know whether to just leave well alone and hope he never bashes himself hard or whether to cover his legs
frown.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I've got both the Sportabac boots and the Equilibrium turnout chaps (the cheaper ones). Much prefer the Equilibrium ones as the Sportabacs really slip and go all Nora Batty unless you do them up really tightly. And even then if the horse has a bit of a hoolie round the field they end up round the ankles. But the Equilibrium ones never move - being much thicker they also provide more protection. My mare was kicked in the field wearing the Sportabac boots and the boots were sliced right through. I'm sure her injury would have been much worse if she'd had nothing on her legs but I still prefer the Equilibrium. Not had a problem with mud fever yet, but then if its really wet in the fields we don't turn out.

princesskelly

Visit site
could just do what miller does and just cheap brushing boots. luckly i dont need to boots to stop poppy hurting her self only need them for mud fever. my friend use's sportabac boots to turn out. her horse does stupid things in field and always hurting his self. she's had these boots for the last 2 years if not more. she would'nt use anything else. they seemed to have dont the trick his legs are cut free.