Equiami riding aid

Maz55

Visit site
Hoping someone who uses this regularly can advise. Used this for first time this evening. Horse fine when at poll but had her head way too low when I lowered down her neck and seemed unsettled. Riding her forward made no difference and she remained unsettled when I put back to the poll. I don’t think I had too tight. She is sensitive in poll so maybe it just won’t suit her or is this a normal reaction at first that I need to ride through? She works well with lunge aid. Thanks

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I had bought one but cannot say I have used it in earnest as straightness trainer said chuck away the front part and only use the back.
However I have been tempted (but resisted) to comment on the Equiami ad pages on Facebook because the horses are always stretched down too low in my opinion in front. If the nose is near the floor then I don't believe it's doing anything to work the horse over its back and the company are applauding these pictures?!
I really don't do gadgets lunging, I prefer the slow shonic lunging and aspire to Manola Mendez's expertise at it.

Maz55

Visit site
I had bought one but cannot say I have used it in earnest as straightness trainer said chuck away the front part and only use the back.
However I have been tempted (but resisted) to comment on the Equiami ad pages on Facebook because the horses are always stretched down too low in my opinion in front. If the nose is near the floor then I don't believe it's doing anything to work the horse over its back and the company are applauding these pictures?!
I really don't do gadgets lunging, I prefer the slow shonic lunging and aspire to Manola Mendez's expertise at it.

Interesting as im constantly striving to straightness - so was this trainer in favour of using the back part of the equiami for lunging or have i misunderstood you? Can you clarify please? I wish I had the ability to lunge correctly without gadgets but I don’t (and likely never will) and I think (maybe incorrectly) that using the equiami is better than a horse motor biking around on the lunge bent to outside (my horse!). I did think this evening that the riding aid seemed to encourage my horse to drop her head way too low (a little unsettling having nothing in front!) and worked entirely on poll rather than encouraging activation from the back end which “in theory” the lunge aid does...

SEL

Visit site
Give equiami a shout. I've never used my riding aid but when I had a few problems with the lunge aid they were really helpful

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Interesting as im constantly striving to straightness - so was this trainer in favour of using the back part of the equiami for lunging or have i misunderstood you? Can you clarify please? I wish I had the ability to lunge correctly without gadgets but I don’t (and likely never will) and I think (maybe incorrectly) that using the equiami is better than a horse motor biking around on the lunge bent to outside (my horse!). I did think this evening that the riding aid seemed to encourage my horse to drop her head way too low (a little unsettling having nothing in front!) and worked entirely on poll rather than encouraging activation from the back end which “in theory” the lunge aid does...

The straightness trainer advocated the use of the back part both in lunging and ridden.
I recommend watching Manola Mendez for his amazing lunging techniques. I recently attended a Sarah Williamson clinic and really like her lunging technique which is Jean Luc Cornille school. She ran the lunge rein clipped on the bit over poll and through other bit ring then back to saddle or roller and through a carabiner either attached to a saddle strap on the d rings or a ring if a roller and back and through the the near side bit ring. This offers rein aid like control and she precisely controlled the horses every step ensuring it was off the forehand. No full circle lunging, just part circle then straight on then part circle again. There is lots of material on YouTube, Marijke de Jong and Klaus Hempfling. All the great classical trainers are expert at in hand work and very precise and productive lunging, Charles de Kunffy and Arthur Kottas. It's so refreshing to see precise lunging, there is nothing worse to me than a horse being chased around in a circle, that only makes their crookedness worse.

Last edited:

flying_high

Visit site
The straightness trainer advocated the use of the back part both in lunging and ridden.
I recommend watching Manola Mendez for his amazing lunging techniques. I recently attended a Sarah Williamson clinic and really like her lunging technique which is Jean Luc Cornille school. She ran the lunge rein clipped on the bit over poll and through other bit ring then back to saddle or roller and through a carabiner either attached to a saddle strap on the d rings or a ring if a roller and back and through the the near side bit ring. This offers rein aid like control and she precisely controlled the horses every step ensuring it was off the forehand. No full circle lunging, just part circle then straight on then part circle again. There is lots of material on YouTube, Marijke de Jong and Klaus Hempfling. All the great classical trainers are expert at in hand work and very precise and productive lunging, Charles de Kunffy and Arthur Kottas. It's so refreshing to see precise lunging, there is nothing worse to me than a horse being chased around in a circle, that only makes their crookedness worse.

COuld you possibly link to a photo and video of the specific lunging set up you describe above? I am struggling to picture it. I am doing rehab lunging and struggling a bit with horse opting to move on forehand, sounds like might be worth playing with different ways. Thanks

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
As a saddle fitter I'm not a fan of any of the gadgets, I presume that using the back half of the Equiami only is a bit like bodywrapping which sounds much better. I too would suggest looking at all those in hand resources - you will find tons of info on the web and Facebook on all of them. Straightness Training is probably the most accessible and offers the most ongoing support if you don't have a local trainer who could help you with the other methods (I can recommend someone in Warwickshire). I would consider doing more close in hand work first rather than just lunging too.

southerncomfort

Visit site
My physio said the Equi Ami is good but a tail bandage around the hindquarters does the job just as well.

This is what we've done with our little cob and it works really at getting them to step under and work over the back properly. The improvement in head carriage is not as instant but I think that's a good thing as it means that when the improvement does come it's not a false picture if you see what I mean.

ETA: I've also been doing the ST exercises and the improvement in our little lad is absolutely amazing!

Bellalily

Visit site
I used to use mine regularly both lunging and ridden, never had an issue with it, maybe she has pain at her poll? I loved it actually and your post has reminded me to use it again soon!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
COuld you possibly link to a photo and video of the specific lunging set up you describe above? I am struggling to picture it. I am doing rehab lunging and struggling a bit with horse opting to move on forehand, sounds like might be worth playing with different ways. Thanks
The key is slow and to get the horse to literally take one step at a time whilst lifting the forehand. It's a difficult thing for a horse to do. I do this ridden as a guide to seeing my horse is off the forehand. Below is a link about Sarah Williamson and straightness. I will see if I can find any further material, but I know there are videos of Manola Mendez the master of straightness lunging and Marijke de Jong on YouTube if you search their names.

https://troton.com/blogs/articles/i...-the-health-of-horses-by-issy-clarke-part-two