Equifeast cool calm and collected?

horsegirl

Visit site
I received a leaflet inside my H&H and this seems as though it would help my boy as we are having a few problems with him after our move 2 weeks ago. Has anyone used it, is it as good as they say?

Tempi

Visit site
what problems are you having (sorry if ive missed your post) - if you only moved two weeks ago id give him another couple of weeks before you start putting him on suppliments. What are you feeding him and whats his routeen?

samp

Visit site
I am using it at the moment. It seems to be working in the fact that before I used it I could not load my horse and then in the lorry she would fret and sweat up. Now I still have some issues loading, however once in she is chilled, settled and even starting to eat

horsegirl

Visit site
He has become very excitable and bad tempered. He won't stand still for mounting and he was getting quite good at this. In the school he charges down the long side towards home, spooks at everything, he is difficult to lead in from the field as he rushes and barges about. HE was always lively, he is a TB, but he is getting unmanageable and I don't know why. Last night he charged out of his stable as I was taking his headcollar off to go and sniff a nearby mare until she kicked him. Normally you could leave his stable door open and he would not walk out.

He is now in a field with a lot of grass whereas he had very little grass where he was before so I have cut his feed down to about a third of what he was getting before, he now has half scoop nuts, 1 scoop alfa a oil, third scoop speedibeet (dry weight) plus oil, carrots & apples. I am concerned he will lose condition again if I reduce any further.

samp

Visit site
I would suggest you contact Equifeast -they are very, very helpful will tell you how to feed it etc. I would be worried that he has become so unsettles - TB's are pretty stressy and it make take him a while to settle in. I would advise turning out as much as possible and try to be one step ahead of him at all times

Tempi

Visit site
it sounds like the grass is making him naughty/bad tempered - it can have that effect on some horses.

could you not speak to your YO about putting him in a restricted grazing field? or sectioning off a small part of a field for him?

OWLIE185

Visit site
Put him on rstricted grazing, stop feeding him and take him out daily for some nice long gentle hacks. No doubt he will calm down and retain his condition.

horsegirl

Visit site
Thanks all for the advice, I will see what I can do about restricting the grazing. The stupid thing is we moved to this yard for the grazing! Daily hacking is not really possible at this time of year as it is nearly dark when I get to the yard, where we where before had an indoor school but now only outdoor, although with lights.

Maybe I could try a grazing muzzle?

icemaiden113

Visit site
Have you tried Magic? It is a magnesium based supplement, and works. All it does is top up the level of magnesium in the body that relaxes them!
I would seriuosly recomend it

Happytohack

Visit site
I think the good grazing is probably the problem. He is obviously stressed by moving yards anyway and has suddenly gone on to good grass which at the moment is having an Autumn "flush" so is even higher in sugars than normal. His digestive system hasn't had time to adjust gradually to the change in grazing and it has obviously gone to his head! Equifeast is very expensive, so before you try it I would try cutting his grazing down if possible, stop the Speedibeet (this heated up my horse) and maybe try the Coligone or NAF Magic calmer as previously posted. Once the grass has died off a bit and he has settled in, I think you will find his behaviour improves.