Equilab - any users out there?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I downloaded it recently, I already had an app I use for hacking which does route and speed but was interested in how Equilab would work with schooling as tracks different gaits. So I downloaded, started it and headed to the school to do some pole work.

Other that my warm up in walk and a brief pause to talk to someone who was visiting, most of the work was in trot with a little in canter. When I reviewed there was virtually no trot but half and half canter walk. Next day I went out for a short hack. It was really muddy and deep with watery puddles so most was in walk with some trot where it was safe. Reviewing the App, it showed mainly walk but canter in the section I had trotted. It wasn't even a fast trot!

So it seems to be mistaking my trot for canter. That would also fit in with the polework session. I wondered if anyone else had had similar issues with it.

SO1

Visit site
I use it a lot to monitor energy used up through exercise for my pony when he is on a weight loss plan. It seems to be fine but I expect it bases the gaits on our own movement if you have in your pocket.

criso

Visit site
I had it in the inside breast pocket of a jacket that was done up to minimise movement within the pocket and you would think rising trot was quite distinctive compared to walk and canter.

gina2201

Visit site
I use it and it has been very accurate with the paces. I keep my phone in my side jacket pocket. So its near my waist/hip when i ride. I've used on two horses on various hacks and some schooling in the field and I would say it was very accurate for me.

criso

Visit site
I didn't use the side pockets as I thought the inside one on a tightish zipped up jacket would be more stable than the side ones which might flap a bit and are also bigger so the phone could move more but I'll try that next time. Otherwise I'll stick to my hacking app which lets me superimpose rides on maps and is also better for seeing speed at various points. I thought Equilab might be interesting for schooling.

Also couldn't see anywhere to change it from Km to miles?

JFTDWS

Visit site
I use it and generally find it pretty accurate, especially on my mare. I used it loads for schooling / jumping / stick and balling over summer, and for hacking too. I don't use it day to day because it uses too much battery when I'm hacking multiples and listening to audible :p

supsup

Visit site
I've also recently tested it alongside my usual tracking app. I found it was really good at detecting gaits (including tolt on my gaited Icelandic). However, only when looking at the coloured track. The riding summary seemed completely wrong. Looking at the coloured track, it was fairly obvious that I tolted about the same distance as I trotted, yet the summary claimed I trotted 1.2km, but tolted only 0.2km. It looked to me as though there's a bug in the app, where the detection works ok, but calculating the summary is off.
I've also not tested the safety feature yet as none of my close riding friends have the app.

Chippers1

Visit site
I've used it (when I remember) and it's pretty accurate. There is a setting to change it to miles but I can't remember exactly where it is (helpful!)

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, I used it loads last spring/summer and it was pretty accurate in detecting all 3 gaits in circles, serpentines etc in my schooling sessions. Haven't used it for months though, wonder if there's a glitch in a more recent version?

Chippers1

Visit site
I don't know what it uses to track, maybe location or something...maybe some have better signal than others as half seem to find it accurate and half not!

criso

Visit site
I don't know what it uses to track, maybe location or something...maybe some have better signal than others as half seem to find it accurate and half not!

There are two different things here - location show where you have gone which relies on GPS and that is perfectly accurate and sensors in your phone which track movement which is what it uses for gait analysis. That's where mine is mistaking trot for canter

Possibilities why it is not working
Phone is located somewhere it moves - they recommend a tight fitting pocket or an armband which is why I put it in the inside breast pocket of a tightish jacket as that seemed the most stable place
Some versions of the app work better than others/issues in some versions
Some phone sensors are better than others
Some horse have more distinctive gaits, my tb has very level smooth gaits with length but less up and down movement. This was just a thought.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I find it worse on my bouncy, shorter strided ponies than my chilled, flat-moving mare. I also find it worse in the breast pocket than the pocket of my jeans. I was using the iPhone version on an archaic 6S - however that has now decided it no longer wishes to function in any meaningful way, so I've ordered an android phone to replace it. I'm not sure the new phone will be comparable in terms of accelerometers etc (even though by spec it should be, and it's rather more expensive!). When the new phone comes, I'll let you know if it's worse on the same horse, same human, same pockets etc, but with a different phone!