Equine Dental issue

skint1

Visit site
My new horse had the dentist yesterday, just a routine procedure, dentist mentioned he'd seen a mild bit of gum disease but nothing of note. My horse had been eating his haynet before the appointment, afterwards he tried to eat it and nearly choked, dentist pulled the haylage out of his mouth and said that he'd tried to eat it too fast. He's otherwise normal, grazing, had his tea (fast fibre) happy to have his bit in the mouth etc This morning I tied him up with his haynet to tack him up and once again he couldn't eat it without choking so I had to take it off him.

I've had the same dentist for all my horses for over 10 years, never had a bit of trouble, and none of my horses have ever had bad teeth or teeth issues,but I am now worried and wondering if I should phone a vet if he's no better after the weekend, but then what could they do to help anyway? . My other horse had his teeth done same time and he had no trouble. Luckily they doesn't need to eat hay or haylage at the moment, but I am worried that it might be the start of a problem.

Has anyone had a horse with a problem like this after routine dental exam? Is there anything I can do to help him?

muckypony

Visit site
Were his teeth particularly bad? I'm sure I was once told that if teeth were very sharp, the horse could find eating difficult immediately after a rasp as they effectively have to eat differently.

If he is fine with grass I would leave him with without hay for a few days. If no better, go back to the dentist not the vet.

npage123

Visit site
I agree with Muckypony.

I think considering that you've used this dentist for over ten years with various horses and never had problems before, I'm sure this problem will soon go away. Your horse hopefully just needed a bit longer to adjust to the different way that his top and bottom teeth now meet on grinding/chewing away at his food. If haylage require more chewing time than hay (as the individual bits are thicker and tougher), then it would make sense that a horse could more easily choke or struggle to chew haylage properly immediately after a rasping.

And as you've come a long way with this dentist, I would have hoped that he would be happy to come out again to recheck your horse's mouth if necessary, and would appreciate the opportunity to 'put things right' before a third person or vet becomes involved.

skint1

Visit site
Thanks both! I feel assured now! I'd just not experienced anything like that before
Also a very good point about not involving a 3rd party, hadn't considered that and I would not want to offend the dentist, who is excellent!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would turn out over the weekend if you can if he's not right on Monday I would call a vet who has done the dental training ASAP .

Silverfire

Visit site
I would turn out over the weekend if you can if he's not right on Monday I would call a vet who has done the dental training ASAP .

I agree with Goldenstar, if hes no better Monday then have a vet look at him. If he could eat okay before being rasped then he should eat okay after. It may be that he has another problem that has been disturbed by the rasping.

skint1

Visit site
Hi everyone, so sorry for the delay in updating. As you predicted, he was fine after the weekend, I guess as you said, he had to get used to his new nashers. :)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Exactly that. Son usually asks for any newly-treated equine to be tried with hay(lage) and if there are any difficulties, such as you experienced, he will watch as some good grass is eaten. Hard feed is often also easier. They roll and twist long-stemmed forage and it is likely that that process wasn't very 'acceptable' straight after the treatment.