Equine disection.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Today I went to an equine disection.. it was held at a zoo, 1st POINT is these were dartmoor hill ponies that would of been shot any way, the one we saw was an older broodmare.

after the dissection they are used to feed the zoo animals (held at dartmoor zoo)

The demo was hugley intresting, seeing the size of the organs to come out of a small pony is astounding, the intestines etc were in enourmous amounts.

what i found really intresting was...

worm damage the mare had bot larva.. very common in most equines.. on the surface they are harmless when a horse is wormed, but the actual damage they leave behind is more so than any of us would think.

the air capcity(sp) of the lungs, the chap blew them up and it was amazing. HUGE!

the inside of the leg, 2 main tendons, front and back of the front leg, and how they come into play, effect the pony and why the pony/horse is so buggered if something goes wrong.

things like the pedal bone ect, to see it in place, to see the area it lives in, and the fact there is no allowence in the structure of the leg for cracks/fractures/rotation etc makes things so much easier to understand.. even down to the small things like why un diagnosed lameness accures.

grass sickness/cushings internally was also explanined.

the size of a horses brain.. again tiny and you just dont think it!!

any way not great pics.. had i of relised we were allowed to take them id of taken a load more..

it was held At Dartmoor zoo.. the place that has been on TV, and had a film made, theres more demos arranged, well worth going to one.

horses head
and inside of front leg.

head.jpg

leg.jpg

Beausmate

Visit site
Fascinating stuff. How did you find out about it? Haven't seen the inside of a horse since I was at college, and that was a while ago now.:(

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
We are lucky in a way that because we kill our own sheep and pigs and have them butchered on the kitchen table both the children, and those of their friends whose parents didn't feel it was far too unpleasant for them, have been able to see and understand animal anatomy and have it explained to them and all their questions answered. It's fascinating, even when you have a reasonable grounding in it.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
via face book, the chap, andrew goatman in a knackerman, the demos at the moment are every few days, he did say he would do demos on percific things if enough people wanted. and that one of the thigns he wanted to do was a disection..

with a hors eand cow to show the huge differences.

it was 20 quid and that included entry to the zoo.

i have to admit, lolk when i walked in the smell made me gag some what LOL NOT COOL! :rolleyes:

maisie06

Visit site
I went to one of these some years back - very interesting too, we had a mare to PM it was in foal 5 months gone and it was interesting to see the foetus, the mare had died of an aynerisym (sp) but the whole thing was well worth watching as a great insight into the way horses are put together and function.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
He did say the mare may be foal, tbh id not of been keen on that.. clearly not long shot as was still soft and steaming..

the guys information and explantions were fasinating. more so than that of the average vet.

it was a dartmoor hill pony and he also expanined thing like ..

use of the tails, leather, and why though not wormed how the natural plants on dartmoor that they eat self worm to a degree.

it was gory, and the smell when we first walked in had me gagging, BUT.. knowing we can take pics id go again, would of loved to of got a pic of how large the lungs can actully expand to.

dafthoss

Visit site
Very intresting I have pictures of a recent gut disection we did if any one wants to see them and all the parts are labled.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Very intresting I have pictures of a recent gut disection we did if any one wants to see them and all the parts are labled.

yes please..

and the chaps name is.. he is happy for any one to contact him if intrested..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?....538253537&type=3#!/profile.php?id=1147449375

that should be his profile..

can i once again mention dartmoor zoo, its a small zoo that inherited its animals, and tbh imo could do with all the help possible and they truely deserve it, staff were lovely, myself and mate even bagged a free coffee lol.

and then discussed trying to help them. .. they have a website etc.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
i saw that too W.. had i not of i may not of been so keen.

tbf.. they remove the legs and head as they have found that the accotiation (sp)to it being a pony is much less that way.

im glad i went. and would again.

dafthoss

Visit site
Sorry these took so long my phone was not playing fair :mad:

Heres the digestive system of a shetland pony, I think we measured it at 20 meters from end to end but I cant remember I may be completly wrong on that one.

The whole lot on the table
4618f12e.jpg

the stomach
3d30dac2.jpg

we did cut it open to look inside but shut it again to label so no photos of inside sorry

Small intestine
220d373c.jpg

the yellow stuff in this one is what came out of it when cut open
14aad147.jpg

Ceacum
efa26e7d.jpg

Large colon
b601bde4.jpg

3307ec2d.jpg

ef84ef9a.jpg

small colon
d5ada7a4.jpg