Equine flu jab reaction video

shergar

Visit site
I will phone the V. M .D as we have had this problem in the past and they told me ,no adverse reactions had been reported to them . If any one is interested use the search bar at the top of the page quite a few horror stories on there .I would like to know the name of the vaccine as we have a yearling that needs to be vaccinated , very worried now as to what to do . More horses with adverse reactions on web page HORSE CHIT CHAT .

exracehorse

Visit site
I will phone the V. M .D as we have had this problem in the past and they told me ,no adverse reactions had been reported to them . If any one is interested use the search bar at the top of the page quite a few horror stories on there .I would like to know the name of the vaccine as we have a yearling that needs to be vaccinated , very worried now as to what to do . More horses with adverse reactions on web page HORSE CHIT CHAT .
Mine was done last weekend and had it in the chest so I presume so?!
I think if it had been in the neck, he would be dead ! Even vet said thank goodness it was in chest

exracehorse

Visit site
. PROTEQ flu-te. L459738

whiteflower

Visit site
. PROTEQ flu-te. L459738
That's interesting. We changed to this brand from another after mine had the servere reaction and so far so good.
However I see it was the combined flu/tet. That's also what we have issue with (the combined) and have had lesser reactions to the proteq flu-te but still get swelling. My vet advises me they believe it's the carrier for the combined jab that causes the issue. As I've mentioned above we now give a separate flu and tetnus jab when needed (same day ) and having done this just last week we were fine. Might be worth considering for yours in future

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Sorry to reinstate your thread OP but just wondered what happened after everything? Only my horse had her 2nd jab on Wed (Proteq) and has had a similar reaction. Vet is coming back out this afternoon. She cant not graze as she can not lower her head and neck and she is very short behind. I intially thought she had laminitis when I saw her in the field the following day! She has a lump on her neck where the vaccination was. Ive never seen this in a horse before and her first vaccine (same batch), she was fine with! Such a worry!

exracehorse

Visit site
Sorry to reinstate your thread OP but just wondered what happened after everything? Only my horse had her 2nd jab on Wed (Proteq) and has had a similar reaction. Vet is coming back out this afternoon. She cant not graze as she can not lower her head and neck and she is very short behind. I intially thought she had laminitis when I saw her in the field the following day! She has a lump on her neck where the vaccination was. Ive never seen this in a horse before and her first vaccine (same batch), she was fine with! Such a worry!
Hi. He was ill for a good week. Hardly moved. But luckily did eat from a raised hay box. The lump took 4 weeks to eventually disappear. The practice sent me a bill for the call outs. Exams. Drugs. I rung and gave the riot act. Sent videos over again to the vet in person. He then sent them to drug company. Drug company would only pay for the pain relief. NOT the call outs. Exams. Eventually the practice as a good will gesture knocked the Amount off. Woody does not compete. So, I’m not going to have the third injection in November. I’m not risking it. Also, his dormant sarcoid suddenly went rogue and I’m having to deal with that. Think the stress on his body caused it to grow and bleed.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Hi. He was ill for a good week. Hardly moved. But luckily did eat from a raised hay box. The lump took 4 weeks to eventually disappear. The practice sent me a bill for the call outs. Exams. Drugs. I rung and gave the riot act. Sent videos over again to the vet in person. He then sent them to drug company. Drug company would only pay for the pain relief. NOT the call outs. Exams. Eventually the practice as a good will gesture knocked the Amount off. Woody does not compete. So, I’m not going to have the third injection in November. I’m not risking it. Also, his dormant sarcoid suddenly went rogue and I’m having to deal with that. Think the stress on his body caused it to grow and bleed.
Oh my goodness! He really did have a rough time of it (you too!). My horse doesn’t compete either but she is surrounded by other horses who do which is the only reason I have the vaccines started again in the first place. She’s new to me but previous owner said that she’s never had a reaction before. I understand why she is struggling to stretch down and not graze but being uncomfortable behind I just don’t understand. I’m glad the saga is over for you. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome this afternoon for Patsy!

exracehorse

Visit site
My friends horse went down with lami and colic after a bad reaction. Woody sarcoid has gone crazy. I wonder if the drug can trigger other problems. So she’s only off on the backs ?

maya2008

Visit site
My youngster reacted to her second jab. I phoned vets and reported it, and requested future jabs in bottom as would prefer my horses to have a sore bum than not be able to eat/drink! Other horses had same batch, no reaction.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
My friends horse went down with lami and colic after a bad reaction. Woody sarcoid has gone crazy. I wonder if the drug can trigger other problems. So she’s only off on the backs ?
Yes only her hinds. When she saw me coming to the field yesterday, she pivoted on her hind to turn towards me. Se looked very uncomfortable and my initial thought was Laminitis! She is very short and constantly resting her left leg (which also happens to be the leg with hock arthritis). I wonder if she perhaps rolled and her neck hurt her and so she may have got up awkwardly and hurt herself?

The day of the vaccination she did spook and trip so could possibly be that?? I could probably think of another 101 things it may be to be honest but I am certain that her not being able to stretch down is due to the vaccine. I just really dont like this hind leg issue.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Vet confirmed that it was definitely a reaction to the vaccine. Has given her pain relief and antiflammatory plus more pain relief and antibiotics for the weekend. She also suggested we inject into chest next time. She checked everything else inc for Lami but all ok. Pain was in her neck. Hopefully everything should return to normal by the morning.

J&S

Visit site
My companion pony had a bad reaction to Protec Flu te and then also the booster, Protec flu. big swelling on her chest and then a hard lump which is now going down after 10 days. She was never poorly, just the lump. I did mention it to my vet and he rather shrugged it off, basically saying that as there had been a big panic and more horses/ponies being vacinated it meant that statistically more would show a reaction. Hmm, you try to do the best for your animals and be responsible owner, then look what happens!

exracehorse

Visit site
Vet confirmed that it was definitely a reaction to the vaccine. Has given her pain relief and antiflammatory plus more pain relief and antibiotics for the weekend. She also suggested we inject into chest next time. She checked everything else inc for Lami but all ok. Pain was in her neck. Hopefully everything should return to normal by the morning.
Poor woody was injected in chest though. Think that’s why he could only walk sideways. 😩

SmartieBean09

Visit site
My companion pony had a bad reaction to Protec Flu te and then also the booster, Protec flu. big swelling on her chest and then a hard lump which is now going down after 10 days. She was never poorly, just the lump. I did mention it to my vet and he rather shrugged it off, basically saying that as there had been a big panic and more horses/ponies being vacinated it meant that statistically more would show a reaction. Hmm, you try to do the best for your animals and be responsible owner, then look what happens!
Thats how I felt too! I dont take my horse anywhere but others on the yard do and so for her sake, I felt the right thing was to vaccinate. This has left me feeling very responsible for her pain :-(

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Poor woody was injected in chest though. Think that’s why he could only walk sideways. 😩
Oh no! I was told there would be more of a swelling ( almost a saggy bag type) but there wouldnt be any pain. She did mention that another option would be to vaccinate and give a pain relief injection at the same time. Neither I feel should be necessary! Im so angry with Proteq and shall be taking it up with them!

Visit site

That's interesting about the sarcoid. Gray has always had a small melonoma on the underside of his dock, had it for years and never did anything. Since he has restarted his jabs th original one has grown in size, another has started to grow and a few have started go grow around his anus. They have settled and aren't doing anything just now but he certainly didn't have them before his jabs. I check my greys monthly regardless so I know they were new since the jabs.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I'm keeping mine yearly for this reason, I keep them both right up to date with their boosters but can't bear the thought of an adverse reaction. I may well do their next boosters a month or two early but not the full 6 months. One is on a stud on youngstock livery & the other is on livery but low movement of horses competing etc. I've had a friend whose pony couldn't move their next to eat or drink for about 3 days, one with colic too.

tankgirl1

Visit site
How scary! My two are in the process of restarting their vaccs after the flu scare, I might ask for them to be jabbed in the bum rather than the neck next time!

SmartieBean09

Visit site
I'm keeping mine yearly for this reason, I keep them both right up to date with their boosters but can't bear the thought of an adverse reaction. I may well do their next boosters a month or two early but not the full 6 months. One is on a stud on youngstock livery & the other is on livery but low movement of horses competing etc. I've had a friend whose pony couldn't move their next to eat or drink for about 3 days, one with colic too.
This is what has just happened to mine! No colic thank goodness but unable to stretch her neck down to graze or drink and very awkward behind. Thankfully today after her visit from the vet she is happily grazing and even had a good roll.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Both horses had their equine flu injections. Both have lumps on their chest. Woody is massive. He has a temperature, can’t walk in a straight line and is acting as if he’s sedated. I could push him over. Emergency vet out last night. Anyone else had this?
Yes. No lump but was stationary and unhappy to move for best part of a week. This is a mare who is always eating, yet she showed no interest at all for 24 hrs. Not the first time she's had a reaction, but different to this.