Equine manners

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
So going on from the "where have all the good horses gone" post, I am beginning to think that I have extraordinarily high expectations of my horse!

These in my opinion are essential manners in my horse

- Move over/back when I ask without having to push/shove, shout or smack. A gentle touch or "over" or me walking into the stable
- Tie up and stand still without fuss, also stand still for rugging up, tacking up and mounting
- Pick up feet when I ask
- Be caught and led properly without barging or tanking (still working on this one
wink.gif
)
- No kicking, biting, squashing or nastiness
- Load without fuss (also working on this one! Lol!)
- No napping when ridden
- Being good for farrier/vet/dentist/to be clipped
- Being able to mess around with rugs etc when she is eating or loose in the stable without fear for my life!

I dealt with 4 horses at the yard this morning and was amazed at how rude they were compared to mine!

So what will you/won't you put up with? And am I too harsh on my poor pony?!
wink.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I dont think there is anything unfair about demanding good manners from your horse. At the end of the day, they're big animals and there is a safety aspect to be considered with animals that are generally rude of bolshy.

What I expect from my boy is quite similar to what you've already listed with a couple of exceptions. He does sometimes have a habit of back up towards you when you're grooming his quarters because he likes having his bottom scratched
tongue.gif
He'd never squish you and you only have to say a stern word to him and he stops, but he really loves being itched.

Mine is also poor to clip
frown.gif
Sadly he is just truely scared of it and it's something Im going to have to work on with him
frown.gif

I think Im rather fortunate though, my horse is really well mannered and it's not through anything I've done! He's not a baby anymore though and is generally quite respectful and loving of people. Nearly everything else on the yard are youngsters and the grooms find my boy a dream in comparison.

Stella

Visit site
Thats my list too. I am very clear about it and get most of it, but I have a mare and they do have opinions without being naughty, so I may need to ask her twice to move over in the stable and as for catching - well, she may have an opinion on the weather, the grass, the herd etc which will influence her decision about that!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thats my list too. I am very clear about it and get most of it, but I have a mare and they do have opinions without being naughty, so I may need to ask her twice to move over in the stable and as for catching - well, she may have an opinion on the weather, the grass, the herd etc which will influence her decision about that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol! That sounds familiar!!
crazy.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I think if thay have had a bad experience with something like clipping then thats ok, however I, like you, would work on it to get them as happy with it as possible.
My horse had been allowed to get away with murder and was the most bad mannered horse I have ever had! So everything has to be black and white, but I sometimes wonder if I demand too much as other people don't seem to be as strict with theirs!

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think if thay have had a bad experience with something like clipping then thats ok, however I, like you, would work on it to get them as happy with it as possible.
My horse had been allowed to get away with murder and was the most bad mannered horse I have ever had! So everything has to be black and white, but I sometimes wonder if I demand too much as other people don't seem to be as strict with theirs!

[/ QUOTE ] Don't you find though that the people who let things go are also often the ones who shout and hit on a regular basis? Those of us who are clear and whose horses are clear about what is expected rarely need more than a bit of body language or strong eye contact to correct them!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I dont think you do ask too much!

The thing people have to remember is that there are going to be occasions when other people need to be able to handle your horse and I think its the responsibility of the owner to make sure that those other people aren't risking life or limb in doing so!

A nice polite horse is always going to be much more of a dream to deal with than someones "quirky" (people always say this to account for bad manners
tongue.gif
) individual.

p.s. not sure what the deal is with my boy and clippers sadly
frown.gif
He was owned by my trainer until he was 6 and was sold by her as 110% to clip - they never had ANY issues. He came back to me as a 12 year old and he only has to hear the clippers (even in the next block) and he's a shivering wreck. God knows what happened in between
frown.gif

fizz-tally

Visit site
we are working on the tied up bit with jay,he only goes mad if he thinks fizz has gone without him lol.

fizz is a witch to brush leg wise so really working on that.

both let me do whatever i want when eating which is 100% what i need from them as fizz is 11.1hh & my kids pony,she needs to behave when food is about
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
When Monty cob came to us I spent 2 monthes standing and slapping his chest when he was tied, because he used to spin around and act like a d*ckhead. Lis is not firm enough with him, he, to me, is still not perfect, but I can see an improvement in him.
Bertha is perfect, I expect nothing less of her, she is very marish, which cant be excused, but she knows how to behave, and Oshka wouldnt dare put a foot wrong, he has been beaten up so much in previous home he is scared to death ofhurting anybody, dope!
Now, I dont like horses that bite and kick and are rude, so when I am riding other people's horses I treat them as I would my own, if they bite I would discipline, but is that correct, I mean, the horse is not mine?

S_N

Visit site
IMO your expectations are not high at all!!

B does all you mention - though I don't know for sure about the napping, I have no reason to belive that she would and I know that she has never been clipped. When I got her, she was dredful to have her feet picked up, was bargy (out of stable, field etc...) The only time when in-hand that she can be a bit funny, is if the electric fence is clicking when I lead her through the gate - she's really terrified of it poor love! So I let her dance through if she needs too, as when she even slightly feels the pull of the end of the rope, she stops!! There is no point getting cross with her, she is genuinely terrified and I tend to ignore this behaviour, so as not to make an issue of it, BUT if she walks through nicely, then she gets a LOT of praise and treats!!

Hector, I getting better, though he is a proper boy and tries it on pretty much all the time! He loads like a dream, leads well, will happily have you pick up his back feet for hours, but is still workign out how to balance with one front foot in the air - nothing nasty, just pure babiness, which of course he is! When I walking in the stable I expect him to allow me straight in, no questions! I can do whatever I like to him when he's eating, including asking him to move over and to leave his feed entirely to come and have cuddles/scratches at the back of the stable! At his young age, I know that there is a good chance that he would nap, if put in that situation, so I don't! I can touch him anywhere and throw rugs on him and as you can see from my avatar wrap him up in tinsel
grin.gif
He's had the EDT look at him and he was a very good child, thoguh he has attempted to lie on the farrier - front leg up and balance thingy again, but he's getting there and it's all about positive re-enforcement. Of coure he still tries to nip - he's an colt, but a quick 'A Ah' and or a click of my fingers (in built clicker training - cheaper too!) and he thinks twice about it! And you couldn't ask for an easier horse to catch - though only for me and Mum
grin.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
I think most of your expectations are fine, but some of them are dependant on the horse, the dentist one for example would just never happen with my horse because hes terrified of men, particularly those wanting to put large metal contraptions in his mouth. Similar thing with napping, he has never been allowed to nap, but it doesnt stop him doing it whenever he is spooked by something, its just his nature.

You haven't got standing still when ridden, drives me mad when horses fidget!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I expect when I view a pony which is advertised as a kid's first pony (I'm off on a tangent again! ) for it to not bite, not worry about having a kid approach it etc etc, and for it to have the manners of an angel. All too often though ponies are treated like pets and are rude and nasty with it.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I was so lucky when we got Amber, apart from clipping and loading, which we haven't done yet she is perfect, both in and out of the stable and yet is a lively and interesting ride. We were not so lucky with the big mare, awful picking her feet up and for the farrier, has to be sedated to trim her feet, we think some bad experience there, otherwise she has good manners.

GTs

Visit site
Hardly surprising my list is long

- No biting or kicking

- Stand still in the field to be caught.

- lead without any contact from the halter/headcollar

- ties up, no bail twine.

- stands still (no moving, pawing, barging/fighting with into other horses, trying to eat the single strand of hay off the ground) for a number of hours.

- Does not decide when to put their foot down while having their hoof picked out.

- Continues to stand for grooming, tacking, farriers, clipping, vets (no need for sedatives - so far 1 of my horses was sedated and that was for a tracheotomy which when you have a scalpal next to major veins/arteries is acceptable), etc.

- Allows you to do whatever you want (grab ears, look at teeth, whipe nose, dock, poke in the eye - whatever)

- Stands still while you get on (absolutely hate horses who do not)

- No Spooking - even for the biggest tractors, smelliest pig, being overtaken by a police car with lights and sirens - there is no need I am there!

- Minimal ADD under saddle (ignores other horses in the arena, no faces, kicking, etc)

- While riding another rider can grab their tail and pull on it!!

- Loads 4 at a time

- Does not get excited at shows or new places

- And there is no excuse for bad behaviour, he had a bad experience, does not like men, etc. I have never done anything bad to you, so you are fine!!!!

But when they are in the field they can do whatever they like!! Bite eachother, kick eachother, etc!! I do not get involved in field politics!!

randira

Visit site
I am too busy and impatient to be dealing with bad manners - therefor I do expect/demand my horses are happy but also know their place.

My little mare is 5 and she ..

moves over without a touch just by voice ( I have never hurt her she just got prodded to help her learn at first)!!

Stands like a lamb for the farrier and to pick out her feet (a year ago she had never had her feet picked up, but I persisted and she now knows there is nothing to worry about)

WILL go in the trailer but likes to faff - she IS getting better.

She leads properly and never pushes, she waits at gates, she is a very charismatic horse but she knows who mum is and she is very happy knowing she is treated with the upmost respect but she has to have manners and do her work.

I have handled horses recently who have zilch manners and don't even care if they trodge all over you - no point me telling them off when their owners don't - it's not fair.

She is a fabulous go-ey little horse (and she has had her tellings off ) but I know at 5 we have plenty of time. Basics are people don't understand the horse pecking order and dont act the alpha animal and/or be consistant with it.

Rach x

siennamiller

Visit site
my boy is perfect with all those on your list except when I tie him up he unties himself and wanders of but that is my fault cos I don't tie him up tight enough
I won't tolerate bad manners either and I have had him fron a 4 yr old and he has learnt that he has to behave.
My friends horse is a pain, always in your face when you are doing stuff, he is all over you and it is so frustrating!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF has lovely manners and even loads herself! She is, however, a 'recreational spooker' and likes to dart sideways, backwards or in a circle on hacks. I think she just does it for thrills because she never does it at shows, but I'm used to it now so can live with it.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Agree with your list. I'm always amazed at my yard how many owners get dragged to and from the field.

However I have a theory that to a degree many reasonably mannered horses will behave as you expect them to behave i.e. One cob on yard drags his owner to and from field snatching mouthfuls of grass on the way, but on the days I do him he walks calmly on headcollar and lead rope, with no snacking enroute. Now I am about the same size/statue as the owner and do nothing different to her, but expect more, and get it.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my boy is perfect with all those on your list except when I tie him up he unties himself and wanders of but that is my fault cos I don't tie him up tight enough

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!! I forgot to say that B sometimes does this, though she never wonders off, she just stands there looking at you all sweet and innocent, as if to say "Well now slave, do WANT me to get into trouble? I doubt it, so I'm just showing you up to anyone who's watching and also showing how good and clever I am" She's FUNNY!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Antifaz is without question the yard escapologist; he can untie any knot and wriggle out of any headcollar... I think the boys should just let him wander about (except wandering for him is a pretty good impression of Champion the Wonderhorse!)
grin.gif
Actually, the other day he was in with PF and he DIDN'T escape, so perhaps she's a good influence on him (fact that she's in season might've had sommat to do with it too!
blush.gif
)

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Why are you not all at my yard?! Lol! I would be quite happy to deal with all of your horses!
wink.gif

I like the fact that PF is a "recreational spooker"
grin.gif
my old horse Ally was like that.

I think it was Tierra that hit the nail on the head, I want ayone to be able to safely handle my horse when I am not there and its ultimately my responsibility to ensure she is sufficiently trained and well mannered.
Thanks for all you replies, I now don't feel like such a matron!
grin.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
I was talking to my YO about this yesterday. All our horses have manners and they will let you do anything with them. They havent got a nasty bone in their body. She was teaching at a yard and noticed that all the horses there took advantage of their owners and would constantly try and test their owners and push them to the limit.
Now my horse is by no means perfect but manners cost nothing, she never takes advantage and will quite happily do whatever I ask her to do.
I have come across some nasty horses and its usually because they dont know where they stand with people, once they understand what is being asked of them they are quite happy to do as they are told. They may occasionally test you but they accept it when they are put back into their place.

Chex

Visit site
I expect all those things on your list. I didn't realise how well behaved Chex is until I look after other horses, its so annoying to have a bargy horse, or one that won't stand tied up etc. Chex was lacking in the manners department when he arrived, but it doesn't take much to sort.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
So going on from the "where have all the good horses gone" post, I am beginning to think that I have extraordinarily high expectations of my horse!

These in my opinion are essential manners in my horse

- Move over/back when I ask without having to push/shove, shout or smack. A gentle touch or "over" or me walking into the stable
- Tie up and stand still without fuss, also stand still for rugging up, tacking up and mounting
- Pick up feet when I ask
- Be caught and led properly without barging or tanking (still working on this one
wink.gif
)
- No kicking, biting, squashing or nastiness
- Load without fuss (also working on this one! Lol!)
- No napping when ridden
- Being good for farrier/vet/dentist/to be clipped
- Being able to mess around with rugs etc when she is eating or loose in the stable without fear for my life!

I dealt with 4 horses at the yard this morning and was amazed at how rude they were compared to mine!

So what will you/won't you put up with? And am I too harsh on my poor pony?!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Not harsh at all, I expect exactly the same
I'm still working on the
Standing still for mounting
Occasional nappiness when riding

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A horse having good manners makes life so much easier & safer. My lad ticks all those boxes except clipping. He is terrified of clippers otherwise he's ideal.
smile.gif