Equine mental health day - what would you expect

Ozbride

Visit site
Hi

Looking for some ideas please. We are an established riding school wanting to market an equine wellbeing day camp to people. With the idea of using horses to help with their mental health. We won't go as far as offering psychotherapy - the focus will be on wellbeing only.

What would your expectations be of such a day? And how much would you pay?

Thanks so much

ihatework

Visit site
I would expect experienced good communicators - and a mix of equine and mental health professionals. Not an equine person pretending they are qualified in mental health.

Some practical elements.
Maybe a horse demo
Mental health workshop
Maybe a case study if you have someone horsey willing to share

I suppose some of the things covered would be the benefits of routine, exercise, self worth. Also build in emotion regulation when dealing with horses.

Cost, I haven’t a clue

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you hope to help with mental health, I would expect someone with a qualification in mental health, and also insurance to cover this aspect, plus a mental health risk assessment.

There would be other ways to market a wellbeing day, other than to mention mental health. I used to tackle this subject, but that is not what I told people was the focus. I would help people stand confidently by looking at basic horse handling, and the horses would reflect what the people put out. I was insured to teach basic horse handling, so was covered on insurance for that. I think if you advertise that you are offering wellbeing/mental health sessions, then your general insurance may not cover it.

I am a NLP practitioner, and could get separate insurance for that, so could have run it along those lines. But, I didn't, I just did basic horse handling and the other stuff came along as a 'surprise' added bonus!

Ozbride

Visit site
I would expect experienced good communicators - and a mix of equine and mental health professionals. Not an equine person pretending they are qualified in mental health.

Some practical elements.
Maybe a horse demo
Mental health workshop
Maybe a case study if you have someone horsey willing to share

I suppose some of the things covered would be the benefits of routine, exercise, self worth. Also build in emotion regulation when dealing with horses.

Cost, I haven’t a clue
Thank you there are some great ideas here

Ozbride

Visit site
If you hope to help with mental health, I would expect someone with a qualification in mental health, and also insurance to cover this aspect, plus a mental health risk assessment.

There would be other ways to market a wellbeing day, other than to mention mental health. I used to tackle this subject, but that is not what I told people was the focus. I would help people stand confidently by looking at basic horse handling, and the horses would reflect what the people put out. I was insured to teach basic horse handling, so was covered on insurance for that. I think if you advertise that you are offering wellbeing/mental health sessions, then your general insurance may not cover it.

I am a NLP practitioner, and could get separate insurance for that, so could have run it along those lines. But, I didn't, I just did basic horse handling and the other stuff came along as a 'surprise' added bonus!
Thank you for these ideas. I'm nearly qualified, one year left, but will check out the implications carefully with the insurance company. Thank you.

Ozbride

Visit site
A degree which allows me to practice as a licensed counsellor. However we this will not be about providing therapy. It will be about being active, relaxing, being in nature and learning new skills. Wellbeing not mental health therapy or advice.

Morgan123

Visit site
Some discussion of how you monitor the horse's wellbeing in these programmes. We know horses and dogs pick up on minute stress signals and know when we're unhappy or stressed - so if they're being used as therapy in some way, often while people are upset, how they are monitored and how those risks are mitigated. I'd probably want to hear from a behaviourist on that or to know you had someone who had studied equine facial expressions in order to recognise small stress signals etc.

emilylou

Visit site
I'd call it a wellbeing day rather than mental health day, there are lots of alternative therapies that you can encorporate. yoga, meditation, art therapy, dance therapy.
I'd expect there to be some ridden aspect (for riders) and a non ridden aspect (grooming etc) maybe a relaxing hack or groundwork session.
This lady does lots of this kind of stuff.. I have no first hand experience but all about wellbeing and using the horse to facilitate it.
http://www.thehorsestruth.co.uk/main.cfm?item=19