equine nose bleeds

sandraban

Visit site
-at weekend i took my 9 year old to my local gallop track, i decided to take him for a trot round first to warm up but he got spooked and galloped off (full pelt) i managed to stop him and calm him down about 3 mins walk from the end of the track when i got to the end i stood him still for about 5 mins and saw blood dripping on the floor so got off and he was having what looked like a major nose bleed from both nostrils it stopped after around 15 mins but took him for a trot he coughed and it started again so i decided to take him home

i appreciate it probably looked worse than it was due to his color (grey) but does anyone know what could have caused it and if there is any need to worry?

FairyLights

Visit site
You should contact the vet. It might be nothing but it can be a result of gutteral pouch mycosis which needs early treatment if the horse is to recover. It can also come from the lungs some racehores bleed after a race;whatever it is he needs to be checked out by a vet.

Last edited:

FionaM12

Visit site
This happened to my friend's coloured cob last summer. He wasn't doing much, and it was a warm but not very hot day. Suddenly he had a huge nosebleed. It looked dreadful, blood everywhere.

She never found out what caused it. It hasn't happened again.

I know that in people the veins in the nose are very easily broken, it's a bit like a safety valve. Great exertion or even a hot bath can result in a very gory bleed, with no aftereffects.