Equine passport law and movement, link please quick!

HarlequinSeren

Visit site
Could anyone find me a link to the official government website page stating the law on equine passports, particularly with regards to moving horses without passports and the penalties for it. I need the law section numbers etc. I'm on my phone and can't do it myself but I need it asap

HarlequinSeren

Visit site
Thanks, but what I really need is what specific part of the law it is breaking if they're moved without them. Like section and act number etc.
Also is it legal to walk the horses down the road to a new place? As in a new yard. Without the passports.
Sorry this is a bit of an emergency and I'd really appreciate any help I can get ASAP please! Thanks

HarlequinSeren

Visit site
Even if it's going to a new yard to live there? I thought it was needed when the horse was going somewhere new to live.
It's the act and section of the law that would be broken by taking horses in a vehicle without the passport that I'm really interested in. I need the act number and section referring to the movement of horses without a passport as an offence

be positive

Visit site
The fact that you are on foot means its ok, my other link does not work you need to go through the first one to get to it, but it is clear moving on foot allowed.

HarlequinSeren

Visit site
Quote:
(b) moved temporarily on foot either:
(i) in the vicinity of the holding within a Member State so that the identification document can be produced within a period of three hours; or
(ii) during transhumance of equidae to and from summer grazing grounds and the identification documents can be produced at the holding of departure;

It's neither of those, so illegal?

Ladydragon

Visit site
Also is it legal to walk the horses down the road to a new place? As in a new yard. Without the passports.

Yes... In Wales with certain provisions... England, Scotland and N Ireland have their own identification rules to be read in conjunction with the EU legislation...

The passport must accompany the horse at all times unless stabled, at pasture, or moved on foot when the passport can be made available within three hours.

So if the passport can be provided if requested, within three hours (distance being an obvious factor) then it's perfectly ok to move one on foot without an accompanying passport... Not necessarily by the owner as holding the passport is not proof of ownership...

Source: Welsh Government - Horse Identification Rules 2009

Last edited: