Equine Passports - is it the law to...?

Sal_E

Visit site
... change the registered owner?

I have the full Anglo European Studbook passport for my mare but it is still in the name of a previous (not last) owner.

There is a page which seems to be for handwritting new ownership ('details of ownership & endorsement of acceptance by owners') but the notes DO say that the passport must be sent back to AES for registration of new ownership at a cost of £17 something.

So, the question is, am I breaking the law if I own the horse but do not update the passport?

There's also some note on their website to say that I need an additional DEFRA section 9 update (something to do with human cunsumption) which I'd get f.o.c. when I update ownership - again, does it REALLY matter if I don't have that?

Thanks!

alicep

Visit site
i think i remember there being something on the weatherbys website about this when i brought my TB. i think you had to register as the current owner within a certain time limit?

foraday

Visit site
You do need to update your passport for the medicinal pages and for you to sign to say whether or not you want your hore to go into the human food chain.

Whilst you send it in you can update the ownership also.

sfward

Visit site
You should change the ownership details, yes. I sent my new TB's back to Weatherby's when I bought her in February, was quite cheap and easy to do. Suggest you phone the AES passport people and ask their advice - that's what I did with Weatherbys.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It matters that you have the new update (compulsory to be added into all passports issued before the DEFRA requirement came out) because it's the medical bit where you sign to say horse is either for or not for human consumption while in your ownership. If anything happened (God forbid) before that was signed and the medical record wasn't up to date, even if you wanted to, she couldn't be used for HC. That new bit should be signed by both you and vet (in some passports) so it sounds like you really DO need to bite the bullet and pay for the change of ownership.

As to breaking the law by not having it, sorry, haven't a clue, someone will know!

Sal_E

Visit site
I definitely don't want to make burgers out of her at any point, so that's not so important!

I know you're SUPPOSED to send it in, it was more a cause of MUST I..??

Ciss

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I definitely don't want to make burgers out of her at any point, so that's not so important!

[/ QUOTE ]

But the point is that unless you have signed section X indicating that your horse is NOT destined for the food chain the vet is not supposed to adminsiter a wise range of drugs, including many painkillers. You must therfore get a section X included and signed as soon as possible.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Legally you are supposed to inform the issuing PIO (in this case AES) by submitting the passport for updating with change of ownership within *30* days of the change so it is really up to you to do it asap. Once you do it the new ownership details will be submitted to NED by the AES but should anyone try to access your horse's details (apart from the AES that is) they will not be told your name or contact details as they are protected by the Data Protection Act.

Ciss

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But the point is that unless you have signed section X indicating that your horse is NOT destined for the food chain the vet is not supposed to adminsiter a wise range of drugs, including many painkillers. You must therfore get a section X included and signed as soon as possible.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Legally you are supposed to inform the issuing PIO (in this case AES) by submitting the passport for updating with change of ownership within *30* days of the change so it is really up to you to do it asap. Once you do it the new ownership detaisl will be submitted to NED by the AES but shoudl anyone try to access your horse's details (apart from the AES that is) they will not be tols your name or contact details as they are protected by the Data Protection Act.

D

Donkeymad

In short YES you must send the Passport for Change of Ownership, usually within 30 days of change-of-hands date.

dieseldog

Visit site
I've never put any of my horses into my name, but both passports did have the section about medication. You don't need to sign that bit until the horse needs treatment by a drug that has to be notified.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I've just received a passport back having just bought a filly. The main page showing the filly's name and Registration number still shows her breeder as the owner. The only thing that has changed is that the PIO has date stamped and signed the change of ownership bit I filled in and have written '1st transfer' next to it.

Seems a bit weird to me