Equine/Rider Tech - Recommendations please for Kindle, iPhone & iPad recom

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Not really competition related but this is the HHO board I visit the most and usually has the best info about everything :D

The Ludi-doodi household has become gadget crazy recently. Mr L-D bought me a fancy pants, all singing, dancing wi-fi/3G Kindle for christmas. Hadn't asked for one but really liking it so far.

I'm waiting like an expectant mother for the arrival of an iPhone (should have arrived yesterday but didn't :mad:) and Mr L-D has done some deal on an Russian Miltary Watch/Cash combo for an iPad!

So apart from the Coursewalk App that's being mentioned here today, what other apps, blogs, books etc can you guys recommend?

I've already downloaded and read The Dressage Chronicles :) a very enjoyable read. I have some vague recollection of a north American magazine mentioned recently but can't for the life of me remember what it's called - I think Spotted Cat and may be TarrSteps were discussing? Can anyone remember the name and whether it's available for Kindle?

Sorry for the essay, it's lunchtime, I'm stuck at work and I'm impatient to get home to see if iPhone has turned up :D

Last edited:

kerilli

Visit site
I guess they were talking about The Chronicle of the Horse, i have no idea if you can get it for Kindle but if you can, I will!
can i do a dis-recommendation pleaseI? i asked on fb for horsey reads for my Kindle, a few people suggested Kiss and Tell because it's set in the world of Eventing... jeeez, hours of my life that I will never get back, don't bother! I had to get to the end to see if it could possibly get worse... it was like reading a car crash. Ugh. Kiss Chase is even worse imho!
A good online magazine that doesn't get mentioned much is Horses for Life, it is excellent, classical-dressage oriented. I subscribe and many of the articles and videos they publish are fantastic. No idea if it's Kindle-compatible though, sorry!

SpottedCat

Visit site
No - it was Practical Horseman we were discussing. Excellent magazine, far better than the lowest-common-denominator 'how rhythm beads will help your dressage' tat we get in magazines over here!

I have dressage lite too - it was free and lets you input dressage tests for learning etc.

kerilli

Visit site
No - it was Practical Horseman we were discussing. Excellent magazine, far better than the lowest-common-denominator 'how rhythm beads will help your dressage' tat we get in magazines over here!

I have dressage lite too - it was free and lets you input dressage tests for learning etc.

An, right, sorry.
I'll have a look at Dressage Lite, thanks!

Shazzababs

Visit site
There is an app for Android called 'endomondo'. I expect there is a version for IPhone too, but I don't have one so I've never looked.

Basically it uses GPS to plot your routes when you do exercise. You select what you are doing e.g. Riding, Walking, Running etc. and some personal details and it records your route so you can see how many miles you went at what speed. It also tells you how many calories you burnt.

You can upload all the data from the handset to the inter-web and look at your weekly and monthly statistics. OH particularly like that it shows you how many calories you have burned off in multiples of Big Macs!

vallin

Visit site
There is an app for Android called 'endomondo'. I expect there is a version for IPhone too, but I don't have one so I've never looked.

Basically it uses GPS to plot your routes when you do exercise. You select what you are doing e.g. Riding, Walking, Running etc. and some personal details and it records your route so you can see how many miles you went at what speed. It also tells you how many calories you burnt.

You can upload all the data from the handset to the inter-web and look at your weekly and monthly statistics. OH particularly like that it shows you how many calories you have burned off in multiples of Big Macs!

I was going to suggest a similar app called Sports tracker, great fun and tells you your elevation etc :) I use it for hacking and plotting routes we've done etc :)