Equipment before you buy

GinaB

Visit site
I was reading and some people have said to me it's a good idea to buy things for your horse before you actually buy a horse. Confusing..what I mean is to buy non-sizing items such as grooming kits, saddlecloths etc? As it would mean you're not buying everything in one go. obviously wouldn't be buying the likes of saddles or rugs.
I'm hoping to buy a horse towards the end of next year (when my car is paid off!) and was wondering if any of you think this is a good idea and can think of other items that I could buy before actually getting a horse?

Thanks!

Claireg9

Visit site
yes i can see how that would work.
Do you have an idea on what size horse your getting?
If so you could buy exercise boots, bandages, travel boots, grooming kit, water buckets, haynets, first aid kit for your neddie, shampoos and cleaning stuff, mucking out equipment, stuff for yourself to wear i.e hat, boots, joddys etc etc

allijudd

Visit site
i think they probably mean just before you take possesion of the horse and not leaving it until the lastminute...then again if people are having sales then its worth getting grooming kits...yard equipment.....but i wouldnt personally buy anything else as you wouldnt know what size to buy......

SillyMare

Visit site
Why don't you start a savings account and put the money you would have spent on things in there?

That way you can do one massive shopping spree once you know exactly what size your horse is and don't need to store stuff in the meantime.

vicm2509

Visit site
I did that. I was looking for a horse around 16hh so I knew everything would be full size. I bought grooming kit, buckets, travel boots, headcoller & leadropes, saddlecloths, feedscoop, haynets, fork, brush, shovel, whips, lunge cavesson, lunge line, roller....and quite a bit more but cant remember what else as the list really is endless!

Good idea to keep a look out on ebay for things that have been lightly used or for stock clearence or job lot buys
smile.gif

GinaB

Visit site
Luckily I have plenty of storage space in my house, so that isn't a porblem and I have an account where I'm putting money away. Most of which will be going to purchasing the actual horse, in the hope I won't have to get a loan for it. Also setting money aside that'll be for weekly/monthly costs etc.
I'm planning on just buying things that I don't need the size for. I have all the stuff such as jods hat etc for myself as I ride weekly at the min.

GinaB

Visit site
I'm hoping to buy around 16hh, cob, cob x possibly. Depends what I see! I tend to keep an eye on horse ads, just to see what's going about, price wise etc. Also want a wee bit of an allrounder. I know it could be a long search but it'll be worth it in the end!
I keep a good eye on eBay, especially at job lots so I can sell on what I don't need and keep what I will need! Just trying to get things at good prices.

maddielove

Visit site
that sound s really good idea..i left everything till last minute[mostly because my horse arrived a day early!] i ended up buying a lunge line and brushes the next day. but i still find myself buying things that i should have bought when i first got her.