Equipment to send when going for breaking

Leo Walker

Visit site
and yes I know, ask the people shes going to! I have but its Christmas so I'm not expecting them to reply yet and I am trying to work out if I need to wash anything or buy anything etc.

So Bobbie is off to be finished off breaking to drive on Friday. It was always the plan, then I decided I was going to do it myself, nearly did and got her to in the carriage and ready to start actually driving, then stopped and 10weeks later I am no further forward and dont have the time or the inclination anymore, so shes going to my friend who does this for a living and who will no doubt do a much better job than I ever could!

Anyway, what do you send with them? They are going to use their carriage so I dont need to worry about that. I'm thinking

headcollar and leadrope
turnout rug and couple of liners
fleece/cooler rug
harness and harness pads

Is that it?

I'm going to scrape the filth off and do a small clip tomorrow before she goes as she will melt being asked to work with all that hair. She is currently so filthy I feel like crying at the thought of doing that!

48412335_10156200085863667_8910888040512094208_n.jpg

Inda

Visit site
My list had my own brushes and a tube of equest, enough hard feed for the time she's there. Any tack required, which I think would be the driving kit? Contact numbers for her vet, farrier/trimmer and dentist.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My list had my own brushes and a tube of equest, enough hard feed for the time she's there. Any tack required, which I think would be the driving kit? Contact numbers for her vet, farrier/trimmer and dentist.

Brushes is something I hadn't thought of! I'll ask about wormers. shes due something about now, I'm just waiting to worm count her once the christmas post settles down again. I will get a list of contact numbers as well.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No that sounds about right, apart from maybe some hard feed if there's something particular that you like her to have. The other thing that was useful when I was breaking to ride was if the owner noted down any points about the horse's temperament or the way they react to things that might be useful. It wouldn't always be the same when I did things with them but it was useful to know in terms of making the horse as trained as possible for the owner when they took them home. If that makes sense?

Asha

Visit site
I’ve used 4 different people to back for me , and they have all said the same. Just send the rugs the horse uses. They don’t want any personal tack : equipment as it can easily get lost

Reactions: D66

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree with Asha. Just rugs that she is actually wearing (not fleece etc unless they don't have little ones).

If it is to ride I like to send the saddle so the trainer will identify any problems with saddle fit as the horse develops, but I certainly would not send any brushes or extras. Just the horse, passport and rugs. I also send halter and rope, but only ones I would not mind going missing.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I send just a copy of the passport (bit naughty, but since they're never checked...) which doubles up as the vaccination record.
Also recent history of vet visits, worming/counts, farriery, dentist, physio etc. Any known quirks eg head shy, dislikes puddles etc.

rara007

Visit site
I sent mine with boots but they rubbed and left white marks! (tbf, I'd probably not used them for the length they were using them for, or maybe they were putting them on a bit tight.)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm going to avoid the need for boots by not clipping her legs. Theres enough fluff there to keep her legs protected. I'm now going to have to start my usually annual, find the passport fiasco! I know exactly where it should be, I bet its not there though!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I sent for riding not driving but they only wanted her headcollar/lead rope. They used their own brushes/tack/feed etc
Rugs are useful as different brands fit different horse types.
It was spring when I sent but they had the basics of what was needed so don't believe they would ever have wanted me to provide my own feed (pony is a good doer and doesn't need anything special anyway).

Exciting stuff and look forward to seeing her progress.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Most pro yards I know don't want to be responsible for your stuff. Even with the best of intentions it will probably get mixed in with theirs
We would have taken rugs, as they can be more 'personal' in terms of fit, and most likely owners will recognise them when they come to collect.
Otherwise we even sent headcollars home (reluctantly- there are never enough!)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Horse, harness and rugs is all thats required apparently. I've clipped a lot of mud and hair off today so shes semi presentable at least and packed her few things she needs, so shes all ready to go! Still shockingly dirty but at least shes cleanish under the rug now, although shes back out in the field so who knows how long that will last!

48407414_10156210248363667_4850498191633678336_n.jpg

Louby

Visit site
My horse went for riding breaking not driving but basically went with her headcollar and a couple of rugs. I sent boots but they used their own.