Equishure or something else?

meleeka

Visit site
I have a 25 year old mare diagnosed and medicated for Cushings. She has had the problem for a while where although her poos are properly formed she passes brown liquid afterward and also farts brown liquid. I have to wash her back legs every other day. I think I’ve narrowed it down to increased hay in the winter (although she’s sensitive to any changes in her diet). The only thing I’ve found to help is Protexin Quick Fix but a few days after the course has finished she’s back to square one. Protexin Gut Balancer seemed to help for a while (followed straight on from the Quick Fix) as did bran. My vet said if she’s fine in herself don’t worry about it but actually I think she’s been happier when on Quick Fix She doesn’t have any problem gaining or maintaining weight and she’s just a field ornament. She’s always been quite a stroppy type and her seasons don’t seem to affect that.

I’ve just seen someone mention Equishure and googled. It seems that it does have an effect on the hindgut and has been used for this purpose. Obviously it’s also expensive.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
My friend keeps her TB with similar symptoms on Protexin acid ease. I use Equishure and like it, but mine has different symptoms. You'd need to give it a go to see if it works - I don't think any of the gut supplements are cheap sadly! :rolleyes:

chaps89

Visit site
Interesting.
I put mine on Timothy haylage last summer. After 3 months she got the same issue as yours has. And again, quick fix would sort it after which point the brown liquid would return. It cleared when I stopped the haylage. Seemed odd that it started a while after being on it though.
Come Christmas I had to start giving her a very small amount of haylage again- a different brand but still Timothy. Same reaction straight away. Protexin gut bind has given maybe a 95% improvement this time but still she has a messy bottom/back legs.
So I'll follow with interest - I can't stop haylage for now which would be the ideal but I do think a mucky back end (and whatever is presumably going on in the tummy to cause it) can't be nice for them.