Equitrek owners...

Carlosmum

Visit site
I know this has been done to death but I wanted to throw out another warning to those of you who drive your horses about in an Equitrek. My neighbour recently travelled her eventer to a competition approx 70 miles away. When she arrived the horse's back leg was covered in blood with a nasty gash down the inside of his hindleg. Having had him treated by the vet it was discovered that the reason for his injury was not a 'tread' from his other back leg but the side of the trailer had come away from the base and he had slipped his leg through the gap. Fortunately he was able to pull it out again having lost his travel boot somewhere between Oxford & Salisbury. All this happened whilst travelling, the driver & passenger were completely unaware.

The trailer was only a few years old, horse is now off games though luckily he will be fine once he is healed. I gather others who have suffered the same problem have not been. The point of my post is please check the sides of your trailers we are all aware of checking floors but in this case the floor was fine, it was the side that came away when he leant against it.

McFluff

Visit site
How scary for them - glad to hear that he will recover.

I get the sides of mine checked as part of the annual MOT - and have been told that this is a risk for all trailers and horse transporters... It is always worth being vigilant and getting reminders of the importance of doing the checks though.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I've heard from a professional horse transporter who bought one of their 3.5 ton boxes that they use really inadequate fixings that are far too short so the panels are prone to separating from the floor.

Kaylum

Visit site
My friend bought one badly designed and cheaply made she has had every part of it rewelded and strenghtend by her OH

Michen

Visit site
I would never put my horse in one. A girl not long ago lost her horse when the wall came apart on a roundabout and he was thrown out.

supagran

Visit site
I know someone who lost her horse, its leg went between the wall and the floor. They are taking Equitrek to court! I would never put any of mine in an equitrek.