Equitrek trailers - opinions please

JaneyB

Visit site
Weighing up the lorry V Equitrek trailer option. Obviously aware of the usual about weights and having a big enough vehicle.

But apart from that, can anyone offer their opinions/experiences with them, particulary the 5* with overnight living.

Thanks

jenniedream

Visit site
My friend is a single mum with a horse mad daughter. They have an Equitrek but with no living. She manages to reverse it etc etc and tows with a R reg Peugeot 2 litre (ish) they love it...and my friend has rheumatoid arthritis which has weakened her joints. So I guess it that says a lot for it. Hope this helps

rema

Visit site
My friend has the 5* and she tows it with a Nissan Terrano with no problems.She loves the trailer and has no fears about reversing or swinging it around.IMO lovely trailers but just out of my price range.
frown.gif

JaneyB

Visit site
Not worried about towing or reversing as currently have an ifor 510 and am fine with it.

I guess it's from the living perspective and whether they chose one because it's like a lorry (although smaller), but without the plating & tax costs etc.

watterh

Visit site
my friend has had one from new now 18 months old. It hasn't worn well. Doors warped, ramp twisted and axel broken!!
My trusty old lfor still going strong tho think i might swap it in for a 510 next year.

_jetset_

Visit site
I absolutely love my 4 star (the same as a 5 star but without the toilet)... and I would not be selling it if my car could pull my two girls in it. It has a bed for two people, a hob, a sink, and a fold away table in the living. In the horse area, well, I couldn't have asked for more. It has been fantastic for travelling mares and foals (and has travelled quite a few) because the ramp is so low foalies seem to load themselves without much fuss.

It also seems to make most horses travel a little more quietly if they are a nervous traveller. Before I got Grace she had been on a few unsettled journeys in an Ifor, but she has travelled brilliantly in my Equi-Trek and never once sweated up, even on the more rough journeys.

Hannah, who was absolutely terrified before Max came up, still does not travel brilliantly, but she loads really quietly into the trailer which I think comes from it being so light, airy and inviting.

As I said, I would not be selling it if I could pull Hannah and Grace in it... it has been superb over the past two years and I will be quite sad to see it go
frown.gif

JaneyB

Visit site
Bex, I thought the equitreks took two large ones?

Also, you said on Max's site you were getting a lorry so you can stay overnight etc, but doesn't the star trekka have living in it?

_daisy_

Visit site
ive got the show trekka which has bunks, hob, sink storeage etc and im selling mine and am awaiting the build of my new star trekka.
The horses travel great in it and its great to tow. The tri axle ones are supposed to be even better to tow (or so ive been told). Getting excited about the new trailer now.

_daisy_

Visit site
yes planning to stay away lots with the new trailer. I have slept/stayed away in the show trekka lots this year and its great, the beds are comfortable, its just a little small when 2 of you are getting ready etc for shows, thats one of the reasons were upgrading but theres all the extra bits that we want that we currently havrent got - oh and the fact that we were told we wouldnt be able to drive a tri axle trailer (found out after they were joking and didnt tell us till wed bought the show trekka!)

_jetset_

Visit site
Sorry for late reply...

It carries two 17.3hh horses, but my car will not pull the combined weight legally.

I am going to advertise on Horse Quest and Horse Mart... Now I have ny chassis for the lorry it will be going up in a week or so
wink.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bex, I thought the equitreks took two large ones?

Also, you said on Max's site you were getting a lorry so you can stay overnight etc, but doesn't the star trekka have living in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see this bit... sorry
smile.gif

I am getting a lorry for two reasons really... My car will not tow the combined weight of my two horses, tack, water etc etc legally. There are quite a few out there that would though.

The second reason is that I am starting to do competitions which are much further away now she is getting better (the Areas took me two and a half hours to get to). My car is petrol (
confused.gif
) so the fuel consumption when pulling Grace is completely ridiculous. I was either going to trade my car in for a diesel, or think about buying a horse box. We weighed up the pros and cons and went for a horse box due to the weights.

Thirdly, now Grace has qualified for the Area Finals in both classes, it does mean that we will be staying over for several nights. If it was just one then I would stay in my trailer, but because it could be 3-4 this is just not practical with a dog, husband and a very good friend who is coming as my groom
laugh.gif

JaneyB

Visit site
Ok thanks Daisy, what do you tow with and how do you find it fuel wise?

I guess what also worries me is you don't see many of them out and about at shows, which make's me wonder why!

Bex, thanks, i've messaged you via Max's site.

_daisy_

Visit site
ive just got a new car
grin.gif
. Used to tow it with a Discovery TDi but recently ive upgraded to a Land Rover Defender TD5 double cab pick up
grin.gif
. It tows it lovely, no problems at all. Its great on fuel consumption whilst towing.
You dont see many around atm but they are starting to become more popular (unless its just near where I am as we arent far from Equitrek direct).