Equitrek trailers.

Louby

Visit site
I think Ive sold my Ifor HB505 so Im going to be looking for another trailer. I really slipped up when I bought it as he is borderline height wise and a bigger trailer would have been better. Im going to try my friends HB510 but looking it today I think hes going to react the same. Dithering, shaking, scared baby. Im sure its to do with the lack of space (mentally) as he travels great in a wagon. Weve not even got to the stage of moving as hes so nervous just stood in it so I cant say its facing forwards that hes scared of. So just wondered if any of you had any positive stories of very nervous horses in the traditional type trailers that were much better in the airier Equitreks.
Thought about other makes and would love the Fautras Oblic but appart from that everyone seems to have something I know he wont like.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I'd love an equitrek with a loo & living!!
grin.gif

I think horses like them as they look more spacious and a lot prefer to travel facing the rear.

Louby

Visit site
Its typical that he's like this. We are trying to find a new house and are having to look for a cheaper one so my boy can have a nice trailer!! The things you do for horses.

clipertyplop

Visit site
I love my bateson boston, has plenty of head room for 16 17 handers plus it has a reversing mirror so i dont have to keep geting in and out to hitch up, also stays very cool in there in the summer has a sun reflective coating. and the european barn doors, horses learn to jump up the step,
grin.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I love my Bateson Deauville, 7'03" headroom, can carry 17h without problem, lovely suspension, well engineered. It has a large window in the front & a skylight so it is very light & airy & gives the illusion of being larger inside than some other trailers.
If you are set on an Equitrek be sure you have a towing vehicle that can cope with the weight. The Equitrek weighs around 1750kg ulw, that is more than twice the ulw of a Bateson Deauville at 860kg. Then obviously there's the weight of a couple of horses on top. The maximum laden weight it 3500kg (3.44 tons).
A friend of mine bought an Equitrek, lovely trailer, but she only had a Frontera & it couldn't cope with towing with 2 horses on board. She now has a Range Rover & as far as I am aware doesn't have any problem.
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Seems the Batesons win hands down!
I love the look of the Bateson its just that I could really do with 2 opening top doors (above the rear ramp) as I need to shut the one on the traffic side. (I own a proper scaredy boy!)
Suppose its a case of him having to get used to it really.
We have a Fourtrak which is up to the job but hubby wouldnt be too pleased if I was pulling the guts out of it every time we travelled but I will only be transporting one horse. I honestly thought they weighed less than that, I was looking at the Space treka and thought it was about 1100kg.
Ooooh cant wait to go trailer shopping!!
Thanks again.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for that, it would be the basic, cheapest!!! model that I want. As long as it does the job Im not bothered about any extras. Mind you I can imagine once you see a 'posh' one you want it!

acolvine

Visit site
Hi,

Have you tried your horse in the trailer without the partition?
I had a similar problem to you when I first got my HB505. My horse is 16'2hh and used to physically shake when I eventually got her in the trailer. Taking her out was a nightmare as she used to scrabble around trying to get her balance.
I decided to start from scratch as numerous people recommended taking the partition out. It takes away the claustrophobic feeling and allows the horse to stand diagonally across the trailer and so balance themselves.
Slowly but surely I managed to get her to stand and eat her dinner quietly in the trailer, load without panicking and gently step out of the trailer without bolting. When she was happy with this I took her out on short journeys and as she began to find her balance and not feel trapped so the panic disappeared.
I did try my friends HB510 with the partition but the problem was still the same so i decided to stick with the 505 and no partition for the time being.
She has always travelled ok in lorries but its always been herringbone. Forward facing and the tight partitioning was just too much for her to cope with.
You might be ok with the equi-trek as it is rear facing. I also looked at them as an alternative but in the end decided to upgrade to a lorry and get rid of the 4x4.
Good luck.

Louby

Visit site
Hiya, thanks for replying.
Yes Ive got the full width breast bars. Never tried him in it with the centre partition as I dont think he'd fit!! He loads no problem, took a few times to eventually progress to putting the ramp up (as he kept running out backwards and banging his head!)but thats when he freaked out. The wind blew the jockey door open (it wasnt gale force or anything) and he went for it, regardless of the breast bar. I was squashed on the way out as got hubby to get the front ramp down quick for us to get out. Give up after that. Tried it loads of times before and hes a dithering wreck, Im probably being soft but I just wouldnt feel safe risking a journey.
Wouldnt mind he travelled in one 4 times when I first bought him, ok didnt like it but then he'd never been in one before but he was 4 yrs old then, 16hh and weedy but hes 16.2 now and quite a broad boy.

acolvine

Visit site
Don't blame you for giving up!

I can see where your coming from and thats why i also looked at the equi-trek as its the closest thing to a horse box you can tow.

Do have a look on www.horsemart.co.uk and see what you can get horsebox wise for your money as well. They sometimes have second hand equitreks for sale.
Also speak to your local dealer as i know some let you try out the equi trek before you buy.
Hope you find something soon.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks.
Im sure if I made more of an effort to get him in the trailer every night, things would eventually improve but the 4x4 is hubbys and by the time he gets home Ive more or less done at the stables so its been mainly weekends weve practised. I would feel happier with a larger trailer whatever it ends up being. I'd love a lorry but I keep thinking of the maintenance and road costs and I think Im a little out of my depth.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.