Erm ... what do you think of this?

Sianage

Visit site
Haha I was just about to post a thread about this!! Just seen it as well.

Initially I did think it sounded ridiculous and a bit cruel but the horse doesn't seem that bothered?!

Puzzles

Visit site
Well my first thought was of absolute horror, but the horse does seem quite willing and unpreturbed (except just before he actually jumps - then he looks worried). The more I've thought about it, the more I think it is perhaps possible for a horse to become comfortable enough doing that, but it would take extremely intensive and careful training starting from the very, very basics ... but how the hell did they make the horse do it in the first place? Horses are generally cautious and unwilling to do anything that might risk their necks - is it even possible to train a horse to comfortably do that? I can't think of a single horse that would happily leap into deep water from any height, never mind that height - it's hard enough to get most though a puddle!
I just don't understand why anyone would want to do that?

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
someone posted this a couple of years ago. I can't believe in this day and age they are even contemplating bringing it back. It looks awful, poor horses. I cna't see it being allowed tbh. What nutcase would want to go and see that and feel entertained!

CatStew

Visit site
Think I've seen it all now!!

How did they train that horse to do that? My mare tiptoes round the tiniest puddle, I need know their techniques!!

I don't think I wholly agree with this to be honest. I wouldn't say its cruel, as the horse in the video is obviously happy, but it just isn't right!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
The horse looks willing enough, and I can't think of any particular way it would be more dangerous to the horse than other sports, so personally I'm not bothered. Odd thing to want to do, but hey, I've never needed a reason to train an animal to do something odd yet!

JFTDWS

Visit site
someone posted this a couple of years ago. I can't believe in this day and age they are even contemplating bringing it back. It looks awful, poor horses. I cna't see it being allowed tbh. What nutcase would want to go and see that and feel entertained!

We are talking about a nation who repeatedly drew significant audiences for electrocutions - including severa attempts (one successful) to electrocute an elephant - albeit a fair while ago. They are a strange bunch over there.

stargirl88

Visit site
How bizarre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, that horse walked itself up the ramp. I'm confused. It looks pretty bad but the horse seems calm as a cucumber.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
We are talking about a nation who repeatedly drew significant audiences for electrocutions - including severa attempts (one successful) to electrocute an elephant - albeit a fair while ago. They are a strange bunch over there.

fair comment. I just hope they have moved on from those times. hmm i could nominate a few people for electrocutions if the wanted to being back :D

Paris1

Visit site
I think I read or saw on tv that he horses involved have eye problems due go hitting he water with such force. Horse jumps, can't think why we need this revived though.?!

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
barbaric! why would anyone want to watch that or even pay to watch it!.. there is I think a petition doing the rounds to try and stop this coming back into practice..

Kenzo

Visit site
I think it's a nothing but a disgusting circus act myself, the most unatural thing you could ask a horse to do.

Having said that, you could argue the same about other activities that horses do for us, just because they are trained or forced into doing or just because they want to please their master, jumping for example, I'm talking big challanging jumps here like XC/racing (I'm no anti racing btw) that increase the chances of death, injury or mental stress upson a horse.

I wouldn't say that horse has much option than the jump, just because it does, doesn't mean it's at ease with it.

But for me, I can say it's not something I can imagine a horse feeling at ease with, perhaps I couldn't be further from the truth though...who knows, maybe it's only fair to judge and comment if we have seen the horses train in real life and have seen horse diving with our own eyes. :confused:

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I love the film, have is in DVD and still watch it.

But in reality its a bit weird getting a horse to dive off that high platform and I'm undecided as to if I would watch it in real life.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Sorry but a huge dislike from me. There is a big difference a horse and rider jumping from a collapsed bridge to safety and making a horse jump from a great height for entertainment!
Rider/handler knows the risks and the horse does not.
Does the fact that the horse not know if it falls incorrectly it could break its neck, or a leg and be pts make it ethically correct? In other words what an animal cannot foresee does not hurt.
No in my opinion. As humans we can make informed choices and whether or not to accept the risks. To force an animal to take such risks for our own pleasure is not only barbaric but morally unacceptable.
Please don't start the bandwagon of horses race, do dressage, cross country blah de blah.
That is very, very different than making a horse slide off the end of a pier and plummeting sometimes up to 60ft into water below.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
surely it puts huge amounts of stress on the horses neck and face when it hits the water?
I don't quite understand how it is entertaining and how it will revive atlantic city?:confused:

Shavings

Visit site
I did some investigating in to diving horses last yer and found is to be cruel, although many horses seem to be happy to walk up and jump this is not the case, often the horse will not be in a public show for weeks, it will go through training before doing a public display and this "training" can include a lot of force to get the horse to jump, to be it just shows horses with broken spirits at the hands of humans!! It shouldn't be aloud to happen!!

Cobi

Visit site
I too think its disgusting :(

Yes he seemed happy to walk up but he has probably been forced up there in the past and once his there he cant exactly ask to be let back down, he is forced to jump.
It is extremely cruel and how anyone can find it entertaining is beyond me.

(my personal opinion)

LouandBee

Visit site
Shocking!

I agree the horse doesn't seem too bothered but some of the other vids are a little more worrying....one appears to have a collapsable part at the end of the platform and I wonder if that's what they use in the 'training'.

I really hope the ASPCA don't let this happen.