ermm... what do u think?

omrl

Visit site
Im getting a new horse to do quite high level showjumping but mainly eventing. I'd really like a warmblood but people have discouraged me because for xc they tend to have a stride which is too long. Does anyone have a warmblood and event. Or have any tips or anything??

omrl

Visit site
ideally open pre-novice for eventing and newcomers for sj. Have done a fair bit of competing with my current horse, and im 16

omrl

Visit site
Yeah that was what i was told a bit of warmblood and tb or ID..... just that WB x TB arent easy to find!! grr. thanks though

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I have 2 WB (Hanoverian) x TB x ID (one of them is only 2 though) and they're fantastic animals, but if you know where to look you can find them easily
laugh.gif

Governor

Visit site
I think its entirely dependant on the horse.

I have a long striding warmblood but with schooling he'll happily shorten between combinations and gridwork. He's 6 now so I expect with time he'll become more responsive - although I trust him to see his own stride as he's a considerably better judge of distances than myself or indeed most horses i've ridden. That said I don't event.

SillyMare

Visit site
I don't know anything about show jumping, but most horses are capable of PN eventing as long as they are properly schooled. Go for what you like and what you feel comfortable with.

(although I do have a personal preference for Irish horses - I think 3/4 or 7/8ths TB with a dash of ID or connemara is hard to beat!)

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that was what i was told a bit of warmblood and tb or ID..... just that WB x TB arent easy to find!! grr. thanks though

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get too hung up on the description...a lot of people wouldn't put WB x TB because by it's very make-up that's exactly what a WB is anyway....TBx.

I don't event, but the only negative's i've heard mentioned by people who do, is the lack of speed of some WB's. I would have thought at the level you are talking about that wouldn't really be an issue though, and if it is, then just look for a WB that is more TB than others.

BuckingHorse

Visit site
I have a 6 year old dutch warmblood to event, only got her in April so she has only done a couple of intros.
Very, very clever and will shorten/lengthen of her own accord to make distances.
A lot depends on the type though, she is quite a light build but also had a Holstein who was a nightmare to shorten and not terribly quick.
Good luck!
smile.gif

vic07

Visit site
my pure hannoverian has gone intermeadiate and will happily pop 1.20m etc...

For opn you will find most horses are able - it isn't very big! I have a swedish wb x hannoverian who has won at pn and isn't going to go higher - but we have had a lot of fun and he should really go and be a schoolmaster.

For the level you want to aim at a wb cross will give you a lot of fun! Pn is often a dressage competition so a good dressage is very important!

ihatework

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

For opn you will find most horses are able - it isn't very big! I have a swedish wb x hannoverian who has won at pn and isn't going to go higher - but we have had a lot of fun and he should really go and be a schoolmaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't suppose he is for sale
wink.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
I rode a beautiful Belgium WB for a friend last season and he did really well WH but he never had that extra leg to run him out of trouble and his striding was IMHO a little too long.

vic07

Visit site
he is vaguely......but i can't believe anyone would want him and his owner thinks he is worth a lot of money!!!!!!!!!! therefore i haven't done anything about it! i tend to collect horses...............

SpruceRI

Visit site
I've done (Senior) Newcomers and currently competing Pre-Novice on my 14.3hh Welsh Cob. If she can manage it I'm sure a WB x TB could easily.

Temperament and scope is more important than breed I think. If you particularly like fizzy, sharp, calm or quiet, then go for a breed that generally offers that sort of temperament, but buy a horse that has the ability to do what you want.