Eskadron control headcollars

{97702}

Visit site
Has anyone known of the chain snapping on them? I’ve only had mine about 6-8 weeks and when I was using it to load today the chain snapped when my horse went backwards. I have probably used it a dozen times at the most?

{97702}

Visit site
On closer inspection it is one of the 'link' pieces which has twisted and disconnected - theoretically it is possible to squash it back into place with a pair of pliers, but I am very reluctant to do so. I will contact the seller tomorrow to see if they will replace.....

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Lévrier;13727698 said:
On closer inspection it is one of the 'link' pieces which has twisted and disconnected - theoretically it is possible to squash it back into place with a pair of pliers, but I am very reluctant to do so. I will contact the seller tomorrow to see if they will replace.....

I would not do that. I would hope that the links on the chain are brazed shut.

If a link breaks, it comes off the chain and doesn't scratch the horse. If you try to close an open link just with pliers, you'll do two things: you'll work harden that link, making it more brittle and more likely to break and you could leave the link a tiny bit open with the risk that it will scratch the horse.

I looked around to try to find the breaking strain of these chains and couldn't find it anywhere.

Decathlon (yes, even Decathlon!) announces a breaking strain of 100kg on a lead rope. I am disappointed to not see a declaration of the breaking strain on a stallion chain or control collar...

I'd return it and ask for a full refund.

Secondly, I wouldn't accept that a chain would rust.

FFS, We've had stainless steel since Harry Brearly first made the stuff in Sheffield in 1913! There are now hundreds, if not thousands, of grades of stainless with all kinds of mechanical and chemical properties.

While steel metallurgy can be complicated, it's not rocket surgery to make horse tack hardware from a suitable grade of stainless!