Essentials you keep at the yard

Cobalt

Visit site
Suggestions for essentials to keep at the yard for my horse (excluding tack, rugs, halters and lead ropes). Over the years I have accrued a collection of brushes, oils, potions and lotions, combs, scissors, bands and stuff like that. I'm moving to a yard with limited space, so I'd like to keep things minimal.

Any ideas?

Kaylum

Visit site
For the yard itself an emergency kit with a saw, wire cutters, crowbar, hammer and nails. Where everyone knows where it is and it stays there for the purpose. Having seen a horse get stuck under the fencing from rolling this happen on a yard where nobody knew where these items were.

dunthing

Visit site
My medical box has all the usual bandages, cotton wool, antiseptic wipes and small pots of vinegar and bicarbonate of soda for wasp and bee stings. Forceps, scissors and tick removers, we are in deer country!

Cocorules

Visit site
Literally just have feed, buckets, wheelbarrow and muck picker. Everything else kept in car. Car gets loaded up with vet kit, grooming kit, headcollars, lead rope and tack plus anything else needed from time to time.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Suggestions for essentials to keep at the yard for my horse (excluding tack, rugs, halters and lead ropes). Over the years I have accrued a collection of brushes, oils, potions and lotions, combs, scissors, bands and stuff like that. I'm moving to a yard with limited space, so I'd like to keep things minimal.

Any ideas?

I tend to have winter stuff at yard and swap for summer stuff, lessening what lives at the yard.

I keep the basics and stuff I use often at yard. Stuff I use occasionally at home.

HashRouge

Visit site
I also have limited space so tend to go for the essentials: rugs that I use regularly, wheelbarrow and tools, buckets, feed bins and basic grooming/ first aid stuff. If you're looking to reduce things like brushes and lotions and potions, I have got: hoof pick, 2 x dandy brushes, 1 mane and tail brush, hibiscrub, sudocreme, silver spray, scissors, bandages, some sort of wound wrap, tick removers. I do have other bits of tat that have accumulated, but these are the things I actually use.

Ratface

Visit site
Outdoor rugs according to season and current work load. Hi viz for horse/me. Basic tack, headcollar and rope, First Aid kit x2 (on horse/off horse) seperate identity info on horse/me. Hi viz bum bag which I always wear, with fully charged mobile phone and Identity Tag re me, horse, yard, NOK. Car keys. Money.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've always had quite limited storage so I have:

Feed container - holds two feeds & my supplements, scoops and
2 x feed bowls & covers
Headcollar (one for his grazing muzzle, one every day one), leadropes and spares
Seasonal extras - currently that's pig oil, towels, hoof clay but in the summer will be fly spray etc
First aid kit
Grooming kit
Washing off buckets - shampoo, no rinse shampoo, sponges etc
Rugs - currently 2 high viz exercise sheets, 2 x coolers and a no fill T/O
High viz for me & runners belt
High viz for horse
OS map, local maps and map holder
Lunge rope
Lunge whip
Tea and coffee making supplies (inc kettle)
Riding boots
Spare hat

I think that's everything!

I swap things around a bit according to the seasons but essentially everything I 'need' fits into a feed container, a garden storage box and a row of hooks, whatever the season!

I do take my tack home though and have a separate area for mucking out equipment.

scats

Visit site
I have a ridiculous amount of storage at the yard so I have everything there. I currently take up a whole barn of 6 stables to myself, have a decent space in the hay barn for feed, hay etc and the whole of one end of the tack room. Thank god I have a barn to myself!
I really don’t know how I would cope having to go back to minimal storage. I’d have to have a huge clear out.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't have a lot of stuff at the main yard. although i have a whole tackroom to myself it's mainly stuff that is in daily use, so tack, feed, rugs in current circulation, a few bales of bedding etc. Plus first aid kit, shoe pullers etc, a spare coat, kettle and hot drink supplies and a phone charger :p

Most of my unspecified junk lives at my nursery stables in longer term storage, packed away. i have a huge room for it with cupboards and shelving. and spiders. Tack not in use, off season rugs etc. i have a small first aid kit there too for the horses that live there.

My retirement field is very sparse, i have a leaky shed so there's just headcollars, winter rugs and a bin of nuts there, plus elec fencing spares as it's normally them that need emergency repairs :p

meleeka

Visit site
A well stocked first aid kit including scissors and a thermometer. A spare coat for you and some emergency tools such as hammer/pliers would be my most haves.

scats

Visit site
I do find spare clothes useful. I got a bit sweaty after riding the other day (unseasonably warm weather and a winter jacket on… not a great combo) but still had my jobs to do. It was nice to take the damp clobber off and stick a clean dry hoodie on. I also keep a deodorant there.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I'm very lucky now as I have a lot of storage on the yard we've recently moved to, but until we had the lockable cupboards put in & the tack room made secure, I functioned with the following:

Feed & buckets
Grooming kits
Knife & scissors
Essential rugs (rotate depending on season along with fly masks)
Basic first aid kit
Lotions & potions incl fly spray, mud fever stuff, hoof oil & shampoo etc
Hi Viz
Spare bits of clothes
Gloves
Knife, scissors & baler twine
Spare headcollars
Lunge line & whip
Some snacks that last! Just in case I have top stay longer than planned for whatever reason.

All tack, hat & my boots were kept in the boot of the car secure.

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I’m thinking about taking some stuff home so I can have a bit more organisation with my stuff at the yard! Just trying to work out what the best storage would be for our spare room?

Alibear

Visit site
First aid kit for human and horse, fence/yard repair kit, tools to remove a horseshoe should it come loose/get twisted, etc.
I'm on fully liver but keep the first and shoe kits in my trailer, which I keep on-site, so they're always to hand. I have a small tool kit for the trailer, which comes in useful on occasion.