Ethanol Injections for spavin?or Tildren?Expeiences or thoughts

TequilaMist

Visit site
Mare was diagnosed spavin Nov 11.She has had 2 previous sets of steriod injections and now appears to need a 3rd in less than a year (she need 2 injections in each leg).Mentioned to another vet(that was treating other horse-yep other one broke as well))from same practice.They mentioned ethanol injections and tbh really sold it. Other vet wants to try Tildren first.Only thing is with that if it doesn't work it will be past insurance date and may need it again and not willing to pay 700 plus every 6 months or so.Whereas with the ethanol it should be 'fixed' if you know what I mean.
Is there a reason one vet doesn't think Ethanol at this stage or is Tildren a better option.
Otherwise don't see the point in going A-B-C when can go straight to A-C

TarrSteps

Visit site
Has the second vet seen the x-rays? Alcohol injections work by fusing the joint. They aren't a guaranteed solution by any means and aren't the best path for every situation. Also, if they don't work, you have potentially made the situation worse by irritating the joint to no good end. If it does work though, theoretically, you should get by with relatively little management at least short term.

Tildren does effectively the exact opposite. Again, no guarantees but seems to work for some. In the case of arthritic changes though, you are only ever moderating the process so there is every chance the horse may need to be medicated again.

Swings and roundabouts, really. If you want a second opinion from the other vet perhaps ask if he/she can see your horse's current x-rays and do a clinical exam.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Second vet has seen xrays previously done and tbh said they do xrays/test before hand to ensure theres no connectivity(think something like that) as if it went where it shouldn't it would make her a VERY arthritic horse.If went where its meant to worse case is it just wouldn't work.70% chance of success they have done 8 already 7 successful last one just didnt work.The actual jag isn't expensive but it would be the prep work that would bump it up.
Tildren may or may not work roughly if I remember about the same % success rate.
One is newer vet ,other is older (classed as their lamenes expert so I'm told)
Just wondering if I should be concerned and if any underlying side effects to the ethanol